Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:18:05 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  captioning program suggestion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: captioning program suggestion  (Read 4037 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« on: September 04, 2003, 04:35:37 pm »

to those who have the means to make vidcaps of DVD (or any movie media), what program do you use?

so far I mostly found powerdvd recommended in most site. However, I only got winDVD, media player, divx etc.. and print screen definitely doesn't work.

Any suggestions (esp. those cheap, shareware, or even freeware programs??)

thx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 04:36:50 pm by washuchan » Logged
theravenisdead
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 07:05:33 pm »

VirtualDub is good for AVI files, and is okay with MPEG-1 files.

As for DVD, I use PowerDVD (came in the box with my Sony DVD drive) but I'll look out for some good capture progs.

Although I'm kinda shocked that WinDVD doesnt have that feature :-/
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 07:40:51 pm »

my winDVDversion happens to be incapable of caption :-/

this would be a good tips, watch out when buying laptop equipped with dvd if you have captioning function in your mind. Mine's toshiba s1805 and its windvd has limited feature
theravenisdead
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 07:47:40 pm »

Pre-installed software... *cringes*

I have a personal principle to always completely nuke a preinstalled OS and its programs whenever I get a laptop. As for desktops, I build em 'n set em up myself.
I enjoy the personal touch in mah comps  :)

There may be some good freeware dvd playback progs on the net, try searching, ya never know what you may find  8)
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 04:13:37 pm »

I have WinDVD, and I have the cationing option. what version is it? I think only versions 4 and up have that option, although it might be 3 and up.

Try right clicking, and then look for a thing in the list that says: Caption browser. If you don't have that, then you can't take captions. Sorry. :P

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 07:53:05 pm »

For AVIs, I just uses Apple's Grab. But for DVDs, since it won't let you run grab and Apple DVD player at the same time, I use a great freeware prog called Capture Me.

These are, of course, Mac programs. ^^; But whenever you need freeware or shareware, regardless of what platform you're running, I always recommend http://www.versiontracker.com ^_^

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 10:21:37 pm »

ps. and oh, Spanner, would u mind telling me in the caption thread the program u use to caption all the pics in dual Ifurita website

For most of the images on my website, I used the Intel Video Capture Utility, which came installed on the older of my two computers (the Win95 one). It was a handy little gadget, great for getting movies and screencaps. As long as you didn't mind that it could not produce movies and screencaps larger than 160 pixels wide by 120 high (i.e., the size of all the screencaps on my website). It served my purposes nicely, though, considering the format of my webpage. It's also most likely totally useless to you, both because it's a very old program, and also because I'm pretty sure it was software tailored for my video card, which you probably don't have since it's a very old video card. Additionally, this program probably wouldn't work for you if you're intending to get screencaps from DVDs. It works by reading data fed into the computer through its audio/video ports (the red, white, and yellow cables) which works fine if you wanna get stuff from a VCR or TV, but not so good if you want to try to hook up a DVD player (most are encrypted against this kinda thing).

More recently, I've begun using my newer computer (Win98) to get screenshots from DVDs. To do so, I use my computer's DVD player to play the movies, and then I take pictures using a program called HyperSnap. This program is NOT freeware; you can use it for free, but if you do, it prints the companies name on every picture you produce. I purchased a license for this software, and so am able to create clear pictures. On the plus side, it's very easy software to use, and has no problem getting pictures from DVDs. The pictures I added in the "Ifurita lookalike" thread were created in this manner.

If you look hard enough (or just take the advice of others in this thread), you can probably find free software that works just as well. I, on the other hand, was lazy. When I found something that worked, I was willing to just pay money for it, rather than continue my search for something free.

The 1337 poster
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines