Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:42:45 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Who gets Makoto?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Who gets Makoto?  (Read 12238 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2003, 04:26:19 pm »

I'd give Nanami a higher angst score, for "Why is my life hard on every world," and (briefly) crying when she finds Makoto at Arliman, and so on.  She has her moments.

hmm, she does seem to be angsty with that sucky lot in basically every world.
However, her whining seems to suppress that angst factor compared to OAV Ifurita who keep every pain to herself in silence

No, while I DO consider the idea of a TV Ifurita/Makoto pairing to be incredibly cute (I still grin like an idiot...

ndag, that statement make me look hard to the past trying to remember if I got the idiot grin as well
Yep, incredibly cute, video game ending is just into that theme
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2003, 07:16:33 pm »

[...] there IS no zero value. The scores are from one to ten ^^;

Oops.  And I tried to talk you into an "11" value too.  Shame on me, a computer nerd, for raising array-index-out-of-bounds errors.

The angst I'm dealing with here needs to be considered independant of the whole romance thing

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure which scores were specifically based on Makoto and which were generally based on Life Experiences.  That's why I hedged a little bit when I wrote about Nanami's angst.

The last couple of times I've watched Alt World, Nanami's angst was one of the most interesting things to me.  One of the most interesting things in a mediocre anime, anyway.

This was all pretty off-the-cuff ;D

As were my replies.  Good job, BTW.  Like I said, I was really splitting hairs.
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2003, 07:18:03 pm »

[...] OAV-Afura, who's so much a nicer gal, though so much lesser a character.  :P

Maybe the Afuras could be thought of, in short, as the same person with a different back-story and a different environment?  I guess that's how I think of her, most of the time.  If she lived alone in her own shrine, she might remain more aloof and arrogant than if she lived with Shayla and Miz.

The [doujinshi] I got for free were at least, for the most part, "normal" enough.  Why is it the ones I buy are the ones that are more weird than anything? ;P

I have to say, one of the few things that could be more disturbing than brother-sister incest in general might be Katsuhiko-Nanami incest in particular.

A kinda sorta related note.  I had a couple queries about those romantic H manga scans that I've found.  I was getting ready to upload those to echoalpha.com and temporarily share them, a week or two ago, before the latest round of life-suckage.  Anyway, I was looking through them for the first time in at least several months.

I've been studying Japanese almost as long as I've been interested in anime, but I didn't begin studying kana/kanji until recently.  So, when I looked at those scans again, it was the first time that I could read even a little of the Japanese text.

You can imagine how I felt when a few of the sweet romantic stories I'd imagined turned out to be brother-sister incest.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Oh well.  There were still a few stories that were about as good as I'd remembered them.  I'll post a note here when I get them uploaded.
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2003, 07:56:03 pm »

You seem to lead a rediculously difficult life.  I have to admit I feel bad because you're such a great guy for this community.

Good job with the Japanese, though.  If someone could read any of this great unknown stuff, you'd definitely be my hero... if that means anything.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 07:56:46 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2003, 11:19:41 pm »

*Shudders* Can't sleep... Doujin will eat me... Can't sleep... Doujin will eat me...  :-/

It's reaaadyyy MUHAAHAHAHAHA...!

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2003, 02:29:14 am »

It's reaaadyyy MUHAAHAHAHAHA...!

Oh, God...

*Looks anyway. Winces, and shakes head*

Oh, God...

On the plus side, it at least looks as though the Nanami/Jinnai thing was all a bad dream, or something. And, given "her" embarrassed and reluctant reaction, I'm pretty sure that the one you took for Fatora was supposed to be Makoto. I think the "plot" was supposed to go something like this:

Makoto is rudely awakened from his slumber by Nanami, who want to Get Some. They get a little ways into it, before Nanami notices something - Makoto is either under- or unendowed!

Fortunately, it's big brother to the rescue! Unlike that wuss Makoto, HE'S got PLENTY of endowment! Once again, Jinnai has proven his superiority! Nanami happily goes to partake, leaving Makoto to look on in horror and disappointment.

BAM! Makoto wakes up. What a horrible nightmare! It must've been brought on by the discomfort of having to pretend he's a girl, fortunately, Makoto Jr. is still right where it's supposed to be.

Now, not knowing a lick of Japanese, I can't say with any certainty that mine's the right version, but that's just how I interpreted this one.

On a slightly different note, was it just me, or was there WAY too much bodily fluids flying around in the Nanami/Fujisawa one? Heck, there was even some milk squirting from Nanami's breasts, if I'm not mistaken. ^^;

The 1337 poster
Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2003, 03:30:41 am »

Let me start by saying that this doujinshi makes me want to end my life. But, um... in a good way?  -_- (Though I honestly rather liked the Fujisawa/Nanami one. I think it must be the art, because I didn't really care for the, er... liquid content. x_x)

I demand to know why Jinnai is built like a 10-year-old boy. *grumbles*

And actually, in that dream thing, it's Makoto who's trying to get down with Nanami, only to discover that he's got no equipment. Then he grows breasts. Yup. Ph33r my limited knowledge of Japanese!

Still, talk about one big insecurity dream. Geesh, Makoto's got issues. XP

Jinnai/Nanami freaks me out. And yet... :-/ *stops right there*

Still, I can't help but take notice of the way Jinnai seems to feature in hentai doujinshi so much more often than Makoto does. With good reason, of course. =,]

Rob. Your sidepic... makes me laugh.

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2003, 12:47:06 pm »

Rob. Your sidepic... makes me laugh.

Glad it functions correctly.  ;D

And your sidepic... from where does it come?  It sadly looks real good for your point.

And yes, I debated that story constantly about whether it was Fatora or Makoto.  I mean, it even suggests Makoto by Fujisawa walking in, but the rest of the time the "Makoto" has breasts.  But maybe that's just imagery for Alielle.  Like... Nanami wants Makoto, but it turns out Makoto has grown female genitalia... oh my.  Perhaps that's what happened.  The whole uncertainty of gender business Neil oft mentioned of OAV.  Well, pending someone who can read Japanese, I'll update the description.  :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 12:50:51 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2003, 04:14:23 pm »

And your sidepic... from where does it come?  It sadly looks real good for your point.

It's, um. Official art. Yeah, that's the ticket!

No, really. It's from a sadly now-defunct Japanese site that was shared on the EH ML a loooong time ago. ^^; I've looked for it since, going as far as searching in Japanese but to no avail... *sigh*

And yes, I debated that story constantly about whether it was Fatora or Makoto.  I mean, it even suggests Makoto by Fujisawa walking in, but the rest of the time the "Makoto" has breasts.  But maybe that's just imagery for Alielle.  Like... Nanami wants Makoto, but it turns out Makoto has grown female genitalia... oh my.  Perhaps that's what happened.  The whole uncertainty of gender business Neil oft mentioned of OAV.  Well, pending someone who can read Japanese, I'll update the description.  :P

Hmm, I thought he only had breasts during that part right before Alielle grabs him. But in any case, I can read enough Japanese to know that Nanami is most definitely referring to him as "Makoto-chan"... written in the actual kanji instead of hiragana, which is what most doujinshi seems to do for some reason. I've never understood that... a readability issue, maybe? Mr. What, little help? :-/

He also refers to her as "Nanami-chan", and I suppose it's not inconceivable for Fatora to call her that as well, though it seems unlikely just because she never has before. ^_^;

And yes... I saw it too, Spanner. -.- That's what made me subtract points from that story, because I couldn't help declaring during that final climactic (no pun intended) shot: "THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN!"

Meh, artistic license, I guess.  :o
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 04:18:46 pm by xel » Logged

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2003, 07:00:41 pm »

Heh heh, j00r funny LGJ. ^_^

At any rate, Ifurita is - of course - the one who most deserves Makoto. After all, he is in love with her. His heart reaches out to her and wants to protect her, as any man would. And she loves him back, not just because he rescued her from a life of pain and regret. That's not enough for love. But the fact that he loves her unconditionally, despite the numerous atrocities she's commited. Despite the fact that she, theoretically, isn't even human. And that, he's willing to do anything to save her, even jump in front of her during combat or throw himself into the Eye of God to prevent her from having to do such a dangerous thing herself. This is why the bond between them is so strong inseperable. It's what the Japanese call the red string of fate, in the form of the mobius strip we know as inter-dimensional time/space travel. The two are tied together in a way that no other two chara in the series can be. Not even TV Rune and Makoto (but that's another story all together). The OVA does pretty much revolve around Ifurita and Makoto, and their relationship.

None of the other girls really love him as much. Nanami is his childhood friend, so naturally she gets jealous. Having to compete with Shayla is one thing. But having to compete with Ifurita is a whole different battle. She knows Makoto is drawn to Ifurita's pain and that she can't compete with that. That's probably the main reason why she got so mad when he was staring of into space and mumbling her name. And while the other girls are cute beyond a doubt, Ifurita has a beauty and noble air about her that overshadows other females around her. Whether under the control of the obedience circuit or not, and even in the "school flashbacks" her and Makoto share, she always holds her head high and proud. This is probably also part of the reason why Makoto is drawn to TV Rune. If that's his type, then there just isn't anything any other woman can do about it.

Also, after the obedience circuit is opened, Ifurita immediately takes on a yasashi (gentle) demeanor, which must have been her true personality that lay dormant. As those of you who watch alot of anime know, Japanese men are suckers for this type of personality (Right MrWhat? *COUGH*K1/Belldandy*COUGH*). The yasashi personality seems to be something Nanami, and especially Shayla, have a heard time with. So, in short, the two are simply made for each other from the beginning. Also, Makoto can tap into her thoughts and memories. Which is something no other human can do. Despite being from two different worlds, and even being two different life forms, the two are bound together by fate. Their first meeting under the school is einishi.

And as far as Shayla goes, like Nanami, is she really in love with Makoto after all? Sure, he saves her by jumping in front of Ifurita's blast. Extremely reckless, and seemingly suicidal. But as I said earlier, mearly being saved by someone isn't enough for true love. Shayla's feelings of love may be confused with deep gratitude and indebtitude. In otherwords, Shayla feels a karmic debt to Makoto perhaps. Also, although he jumped in front of the blast to save Shayla, was he really doing it for her sake or for Ifurita's? ^_^

My apologies if I've used too many japanese words in this explanation. But you have to understand, this series is created by a people who believe deeply in eastern religious philosophy. So, it's the only way for me to understand and explain why things happen the way they do, from their standpoint. ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2003, 08:33:27 am »

It's interesting, though, that the VAST majority of female anime love interests seem to be tomboyish, or violent, or extremely powerful, or loudmouthed, or any combination of the above - just about as far from yasashi as it's possible to get. While it is certainly true that most of these ladies "settle down" once they catch their man (or, if they're looking to the future they intend to share with him often envision themselves as demure, domestic housewife types), it's still worth noting as an aspect of Japanese culture. Tenchi Muyo's Ryoko is one example of this - she combines ALL of the above traits, and yet dreams of a future where she and Tenchi can settle down in a nice, traditional Japanese household, where she can wait on him hand and foot like a good Japanese wife.

So, what does this mean? That Japanese men desire strength and independence in their prospective mates, but expect them to set all that aside and become proper, obedient housewives once they're married? Perhaps they desire the strength that a strong mother can pass on to their children, but they don't desire the hassle of putting up with a strong wife? That, perhaps, is a cynical way of looking at things. But is there a better explanation?

The 1337 poster
fesodes
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2003, 04:37:49 pm »

I agree Saucer.  There is one thing in my mind though.  
Exactly how human is Ifurita?  She's definitely capable of falling in love, but what about other capabilities like making love with Makoto or becoming pregnant?

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2003, 05:32:06 pm »

"You're free, Ifurita."
"I really am free!"
"Now become my good, obiendent Japanese housewife who attends to my every need!"

As for the "how human" question... that one will probably be in debate for ages.  We simply have no evidence any particular direction.  :P  I mean, the concept of using an existing body of flesh and attaching electronics to it (cyborg) is probably the most likely thing simply because a true body is something very hard to duplicate.  However, my sister likes robots and I know she's like to think of Ifurita as something of all metal and artifical skin.  And for a fighting device, that's probably the better design.

But that's not to say that the creators weren't possibly perverted enough to develop machines that could emulate sex.  Basically, I guess you give Ifurita whatever makes your mind happy since no one can disprove it.  :P

theravenisdead
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2003, 05:54:58 pm »

I say she's not really a cyborg at all.

Maybe a genetically engineered lifeform based off of the human genome and fused with nanomechanical engineering to produce a 100% human being with a mechanically engineered  genetic substructure via the nanotechnology implemented on a subgenetic level, allowing her to do things beyond the capability of any natural life form, as well as survive extreme enviromental inhibitions (eg death, sickness, injury). An advanced cerebral capacity capable of on demand interaction with her unatural substructure, allowing her to not only learn but adapt knowledge for her own physical benefit. A heavily suprior conciousness with an unlimited capacity for knowledge., marred only by a mental deprecation preventing self-learning of specific things to prevent disobedience. Able to feel emotion, but created without knowledge of it, or of free will.

Anyone else concur?  ^^;
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 06:05:20 pm by theravenisdead » Logged
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2003, 07:20:58 pm »

I most definitely do.  I think.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »