Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:20:52 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Most tragic character
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Most tragic character  (Read 4432 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« on: August 15, 2003, 08:07:27 pm »

OVA 1 Ifurita
hmm, after the reunion giveaway, I'm not sure if this one qualified anymore

OVA 2 Ifurita
this is definitely heartbreaking. I was bawling after the episodes end. Not only Ifurita become a mass produced thing (contract to the used-to-be-good lady in manga), the director/animator seems too fond of hurting character...only after watching grave of fireflies that I have higher tragic character tolerance.
But still, this will be my choice. All because of that sad little smile.

Tv Ifreeta
well, maybe it's only me but she seems to be tragic too.
Always being nice to everyone, regardless whther they're mean to her, scream at her, or abandon her *cough* Makoto *cough*....,.....,......and a hint in the opening credit shows a pensive looking Ifreeta sitting on a cliff by herself. That look there shook me a bit. I can draw an analogy with character washu in Tenchi Muyo who's always energetic/happy looking but within, she still carries deep pain from the past.

Kalia
um...well, give ur reasoning?

OAV Rune
yep, the lady in power, and sucha high position is usually a lonely place. Lots of fanfic depict this nicely

Tv Rune
um...orphan...but she got the guy, so?

Jinnai
hmm, he seems to be born baka/loser, he's not getting "any," & his own sister dislike him...now that can't be good/happy

Nanami
if all Nanamis desperate attempts to win Makoto's heart are combined, added with the "scene" in alternative world, then I guess she's quite tragic afterall

Shayla
she'll get over it, thanks to CH3-CH2-OH

Afura
being possessed by books, never knowing l-o-v-e yada yada, maybe tragic afterall

Allielle, Fatora
u've got to be kidding me

else (specify)?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 08:36:47 pm by washuchan » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 09:12:46 pm »

Uhm... this topic seems a bit open-ended.  What exactly are we talking about?  Is this voting on which character of El-Hazard we find to be the most tragic/why?  Or is this what we find tragic about El-Hazard characters?

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 09:29:08 pm »

eep silly me, both I guess...since mentioning ones not in the list should be accompanied by a reasoning of why they're tragic on the first place
Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 03:33:56 am »

Eh, well. This is a kinda ambiguous topic, but I'll give it a try, at least... But I can't make a definite decision as to who the most "tragic" character is...

Obviously, OAV Ifurita hasn't led an extraordinarily happy life. Given that she was created as a weapon (who, although she claims to have no emotions up until Makoto lays the mack on her, clearly does) and probably logically treated as such, well... that's gotta start to hurt after a couple hundred years. Add to this the much-discussed possibility that she was made anatomically correct for all the wrong reasons, and you've got yourself a pretty tough life.

On that "emotions" note, I just thought that it's really very sad to think that OAV Ifurita maybe started out, personality-wise, like TV Ifurita. Er, well. Not quite so... enthusiastic, but you get my drift. Adds a horrible perspective of shattered innocence and all that other angst-fuel.  :-/

OAV Rune... yeah, she seems pretty lonely. I won't elaborate much more than that, given that we've discussed her in her TV vs. OAV topic.

Then there's Makoto and all the women who want his smooth, virginal backside. ...ahem. I see you gents looking at me like that, but hear me out. ^^ It must get at least a little stressful to have so many admirers all at once... Though is mainly taken from the real-life instance of Makoto I know, who in spite of being surrounded by smart, beautiful, and fun girls (me being one of them... I think I'd be the Shayla in this case? -_-), tends to express a certain measure of irritation that cracks the "it's okay" facade that they both seem to share. A sort of "I'll bloody well pick who I want when I want, so back the hell off" attitude.  ^^; Who knows?

Jinnai? Eheh. Well, color me biased, but I'm afraid I beg to differ on this one. I wouldn't consider the guy a loser at all! XD Contributing factors aside :|, he did wind up the School President... And could a loser hold his own when going from a relatively normal high-school life to becoming the backbone of an empire? Nice rebound, I say. And what can I say? Much as it pains me to say so, the reason why Jinnai's not getting any is probably because he doesn't want any. That said, his being one of only two human(-seeming) creatures in the Bugrom Empire notwithstanding, I won't hesitate to add that power is a definite turn-on for a loooot of women. Not all, certainly, but a respectable number.  |D

I've tried to figure out numerous times what the nature of Nanami and Jinnai's relationship is, exactly. Do they genuinely despise each other? Or do they just share the common sibling rivalry/mutual annoyance thing? Not having any siblings myself, I couldn't relate very well... though I doubt I'd be able to anyway, due to their extreme circumstances.  ^^; In any case, neither of them seem to be real torn up about it.

And sure, Jinnai's probably hopelessly, irreversably insane, but wherever he may be, he seems pretty damn happy there. XD That's a definite mark against him as a tragic character, at least in his personal attitudes, I think. Of course, it's probably a whole different issue if you wanna get all moral and stuff, but where's the fun in morality? ;D In fact, I think I'd even go as far to say that Jinnai's one of the least tragic characters in the series because in spite of teh crazy, he loves what he does.

... *looks up at the other-people-to-Jinnai ratio* Uh. Well, I did say I was biased.

On a wholly unrelated note: *muffles giggles at her shiny new avatar and runs off like a little girl who's heard her first dirty joke*

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 04:22:09 am »

*glares at Xel's avatar*

TOILET CLEANING FOREVER!!!

I Care Deep
Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 04:33:35 am »

*glares at Xel's avatar*

TOILET CLEANING FOREVER!!!

And after all the nice things I said about you... *miffed*

Obligatory on-topic ass-saver: Ifurita = tragic! :|

-----
ADDENDUM: After much careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that the most tragic character us none other than....

Londs.  :bawl

He who is without screen-time...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 07:08:03 pm by xel » Logged

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 07:02:33 pm »

OVA 1 Ifurita
hmm, after the reunion giveaway, I'm not sure if this one qualified anymore

Ifurita's situation here seems tragic. But, it does have a happy ending. Ifurita does have to endure alot, to both gain her freedom and to be re-united with Makoto. But this is all part of the process, rather than a fate she's stuck with. If say, Ifurita never managed to break out of the master-servant cycle, then she would indeed be a tragic figure.

OVA 2 Ifurita
this is definitely heartbreaking. I was bawling after the episodes end. Not only Ifurita become a mass produced thing (contract to the used-to-be-good lady in manga), the director/animator seems too fond of hurting character...only after watching grave of fireflies that I have higher tragic character tolerance.
But still, this will be my choice. All because of that sad little smile.

I agree that this is truly heartbreaking. And, while Iffy-2 didn't seem to have the personal freedom that Makoto's Iffy eventually gained, Yuba was a kind and gentle master who let her go about her business and never forced her to unnnecessary violence. Because of this, they had a relationship very similar to Iffy and Makotos'. Hence, the reason she stayed behind when they all left the sanctuary. Rather than, out of a sense of duty to protect the sanctuary. It's seen, in the case of both Iffys, that the obedience circuit can supress but not completely destroy humanity.

For more on the obedience circuit and the supression of humanity, see the El Hazard manga.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 08:40:02 pm »

If say, Ifurita never managed to break out of the master-servant cycle, then she would indeed be a tragic figure.

hmm, like Ifreeta?
although I like how things work in the manga game though, she doesn't really have those control circuit and can even have a meal & drink at the palace....well, even in the tv series, the only obedience circuit is the one wired to EOG
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 05:50:19 pm by washuchan » Logged
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 07:41:50 am »

Most tragic character:

Fatora. Will she ever get any? ^_^

Seriously, whilst I can'y dispute Ifurita's angst potential, I think that Rune should be up there on the tragic platform (OAV Rune, anyway). She just seems sad, pretty much all the time. Her fiance turned out to be an enemy spy, the only other guy she loved disappeared down a plot hole...  In one of my fics, I concentrated on how Rune had pretty much sacrificed her happiness to let Fatora be happy- and although I was making a few assumptions, I think the evidence is all pretty much there. I mean, can you see Fatora getting married? Nope, not without some major constitutional reforms, at least...

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 08:05:40 am »

I think we're on the same page with that, Dooky.  It'd seem to me that it'd be a princess's requirement to get married and have a kid to continue the bloodline.  Obviously Fatora will be less than cooperative leaving the responsibility up to Rune.  And we all know Rune actually DOES care for Fatora...

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 10:26:39 pm »

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with anything. But I just have to say it...

Fatora: It just sort of went......squish....

Rune: What went squish?!

Fatora: .... yes, that's it. "Squish."

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines