Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:07 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  anime influence on US cartoon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: anime influence on US cartoon  (Read 5725 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« on: August 07, 2003, 08:53:15 pm »

I've been following a new show at cartoon network; teen titans

While finding my favourite character, Raven (it must be the hair, although I dislike the whole chakra thing),
I noticed that the style resembles a lot of those from japanese anime; the expressions o_O, ://), X(, O_O etc etc, some slapstick humor, and chibi sequences

Although it got some sharp critism at imdb.com, I think this new style might draw a lot of anime fans back to US cartoon (DC, marvel etc)

Well, do you notice the influence as well?
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 11:47:50 pm »

*Nods* I've seen some of this show as well. I picked up a single issue of the original comic when I was ten years old, and decided to watch this new cartoon to see how it compared to what I remembered. Not very closely, I'll tell you that. ;D

Yeah, the animators for the show were clearly going for an "anime" sort of feel - probably because anime is so in vogue right now. Some times, they let it get a little too out-of-control, but for the most part they seem to realize the proper place for the various anime expressions and actions.

Overall, I rather like the show (my favorite character is probably Starfire - she's got that cute, naive innocence going, just like TV Iffy! ;)) Hopefully, though, they'll decide to add a little more depth to the show; right now, the plots are quite shallow and easy to predict. Which isn't entirely surprising to see in a show aimed at a target audience so young.

I wonder how many fans of the original Teen Titans comic are screaming bloody murder about now? ;D

The 1337 poster
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 09:56:48 pm »

Teen Titans...... haven't seen it. But, I hear Puffy does the opening theme? ^_^

I kinda thought that anime was dying out of the mainstream and fading back to cult status by now? But, I suppose it still exerts an influence. Before, anime was usually referred to in american animation, rather than emulated.

The influence of manga on american comics however, has always been strong, in things like Blue Monday. And is growing stronger, with the huge influx of "amerimanga" titles these days.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 01:28:34 pm »

Teen Titans...... haven't seen it. But, I hear Puffy does the opening theme? ^_^

Yup! A lot of people were excited about that. Though, not being into J-Pop myself, I couldn't really understand why. ^^;

It IS a catchy little ditty, though. Rumor has it that some of the episodes are going to feature the opening theme in Japanese. However, for the three episodes they've shown so far it's been in English each time, so I can't verify this.

The 1337 poster
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 08:21:06 am »

I made a low-grade movie of the opening for Teen Titans. If anyone is interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll make it temporarily available on my web account. However, I don't want to clutter it, or Rob's public account, by placing it in either place permanently.

It's a decent way to get a feel for the anime-ish style of the show, and to hear some Puffy AmiYumi. ;D

The 1337 poster
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 08:12:07 pm »

I wonder how many fans of the original Teen Titans comic are screaming bloody murder about now? ;D

I've got a run of a couple dozen issues of the comic from the mid 1980s.  I don't have cable, so I just DLed episode 2, the one with Starfire's sister (and deleted it after previewing it, like a good little boy).

Um... I'm not screaming bloody murder... but I am a wee bit disturbed  ^^;

Aw, it's okay.  My biggest criticism would be, I'd agree with Spanner, it needs to slow down, and develop more depth.  It felt like a 45-minute episode crammed into 23 minutes.

Interesting that the male characters' personalities seemed to be unchanged from the comics... but I don't remember the comics' Starfire being that naive... and the comics' Raven wasn't a snarky Goth girl.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 10:37:45 pm »

Actually, I'd say Cyborg is at least as changed. In the comic, he wasn't any sort of hulking, brawn-over-brains type as he seems to be in the new cartoon. Actually, he was noted for his high IQ and his intelligent solutions to problems. He was an angry young man, but mostly because he thought of himself as a freak, and resented his father for changing him into a cybord (even if it was to save his life). The Cyborg in the cartoon may have similar traits, but if he does, we haven't seen them yet.

And if you saw Sisters, I'm afraid that you've seen the best, most coherant of the episodes so far. If you thought THIS was overly fast-paced, both the first and third episodes would leave your head spinning. ^^;

No argument with you on Raven and Starfire, though.

The 1337 poster
wanderer_staroxide
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 07:41:39 am »

I've only seen some scans of the original Teen Titans comic, and it's probably just me, or do the comic Teen Titans look much older than a teenager?
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 08:02:34 am »

I've only seen some scans of the original Teen Titans comic, and it's probably just me, or do the comic Teen Titans look much older than a teenager?

*Chuckles* Just about ALL comic book teenagers look way older than they should. You ever seen pictures of the X-Men's Jubilee? She's supposed to be thirteen years old, but most of the time she looks like she could be pushing twenty. :P

If you're actually interested in learning more about the original Teen Titans, here's a site where you can find way more information than you can choke a horse at:

http://www.titanstower.com

The 1337 poster
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 08:35:07 pm »

And if you saw Sisters, I'm afraid that you've seen the best, most coherant of the episodes so far. If you thought THIS was overly fast-paced, both the first and third episodes would leave your head spinning.  

with the right skill, incoherent pacing/plot can make an excellent drama-comedy. Such is Azumanga Daioh, it's as funny (or funnier) as watching Shaolin Soccer
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 08:37:14 pm by washuchan » Logged
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 06:04:25 pm »

w00t! An ever so rare reference to Shaolin Soccer! That was quite a movie. ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 04:11:53 pm »

teen titans has been running for a while so this topic is back to life

It IS a catchy little ditty, though. Rumor has it that some of the episodes are going to feature the opening theme in Japanese. However, for the three episodes they've shown so far it's been in English each time, so I can't verify this.

guess what, nevermore opening theme is in Japanese..
Sadly, I miss that episode and Forces of nature where reviews say are the best so far along with switched, sum of his parts....hey, the episodes are improving no?

of course if you're looking for silly laughter, might as well watch extreme elimination challenge (dubbed takeshi's castle footage) instead
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 04:12:28 pm by washuchan » Logged
Aya Mikage
Demon God(ess)

Does she look like Ifurita? She's a mage...

ICQ Messenger - 245860247 AOL Instant Messenger - ifurita214 Yahoo Instant Messenger - tenyo_aya_mikage
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 10:11:19 pm »

There are other US/Disney/Hanna Barbera-made cartoons that have the same animation/drawing styles as anime style..

Disney --> "Witch" a comic book..
Marvel --> "X-men Evolution"
etc...

US animation is boring...

"In the future, you will fall under the control of the star of darkness."

"I see blood, anger, and sadness -- the destruction of the equilibrium of everything in this world."

"On the day when the 16th star an
Tsuzuki Asato
Bugrom Forces

" Ragnarok Hunter Level 67 "

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 04:21:20 am »

It is not only US cartoon, but also Philippine Anime-Manga...

Philippine anime-manga is starting to get noticed... It has similarities on design especially on hair, story,wardrobe.. etc. except the eyes.. Philippine Anime-Manga has smaller and refined eyes unlike Japanese Anime (huge eyes).

Philippine Anime-Manga Titles:

From Culture Crash Comics INC.

One Day, Isang Diwa One Day, One Diwa
    Pasig
    Kuburi Kikiam
    Cat's Trail

From Questor Extreme Mangamania

Occhio del Dio
    ...... more...

Questor has more Phil-anime-manga titles but i forgot...

TRY SEARCHING FOR THESE TITLES ON THE WEB AND YOU'LL SEE!

I tried to lose myself today
And hope this pain will go away
A thousand days I tried to waste
I feel the same but you're still okay

Don't take away your eyes
Coz I know you're beside me but I just can't
Aya Mikage
Demon God(ess)

Does she look like Ifurita? She's a mage...

ICQ Messenger - 245860247 AOL Instant Messenger - ifurita214 Yahoo Instant Messenger - tenyo_aya_mikage
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 10:09:42 pm »

Okey Tsuzuki.. I'll be friendly this time.

I have a copy of that Extreme Mangamania from Questor and here are some Phil Anime-Manga titles :

Gokitomo : My Friend the Cockroach
  Kaidan Nopperabo
  Free Spirits
  Sidesweepers
  Cante Ista

"In the future, you will fall under the control of the star of darkness."

"I see blood, anger, and sadness -- the destruction of the equilibrium of everything in this world."

"On the day when the 16th star an
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines