Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:56:44 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question  (Read 4333 times)
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 02, 2003, 04:34:19 am »

Okay, I have heard alielles' brother called several things, but tell me, what is his real name?

This topic'll go to pots within a day I just know it.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 05:37:10 am »

I believe the annoying little brat is Parnasse, though I suspect the venomous purist anime fan will take offense to that spelling.

I Care Deep
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 05:42:49 am »

See, I've been read through things on several EH pages, and they all say that he's called Ralielle. It would make sense, but hey! Thanks LGJ! ^_^

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 05:52:13 am »

Ralielle is his and Allielle's last name.

I Care Deep
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 05:53:36 am »

That could totally confuse anyone, Alielle Ralielle, Jeez!

Thanks! ^_^

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 08:33:23 am »

I believe the annoying little brat is Parnasse, though I suspect the venomous purist anime fan will take offense to that spelling.

The only difference for me is I still it with an "o", to get that "oss" sound the English audio appears to have: Parnosse

Hear him say his own first and last name

Also, while "Ralielle" would be the easy way out, the only adopted spelling I've ever come up with was a really akward one based on the AW subtitles that appeared in EHPC:

I suppose that one is still debatable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 08:34:14 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 02:27:36 pm »

Yes, anime spellings are hard. I just usually use the official spellings used by the companies who translated the shows; they may not always be right but it sure as hell simplifies the process. I'm still taking heat with the Purists for spelling Ryoga with no "u" and for writing Copy Rezo instead of Kopii Rezo.

I got yer Kopii here pal! *growls and waves fist*
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 02:28:21 pm by lord_god_jinnai » Logged

I Care Deep
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 08:52:09 pm »

Hey, I'm all in agreeance with that.  They're also most likely to know what the creators were trying to say in the first place.  :P  After all, a lot of the silliness with l's and r's and extra syllables is due to limited Japanese phonetics.  Obviously we don't refer to this series as "El-Hazard-oh".  But just because the Japanese are saying it that way doesn't mean that's how it was meant to be said in the first place.  It's just like how most English speakers will have a hard time say trying to pronounce a native Arabic name.  The phonetics simply aren't present, at least in the same manner as the source language.

However, the Alternative World is one where they didn't properly repair the names as they were used in the show.  The most common spelling for the new water priestess's name is "Qawoor", because it's also printed that way on the DVD's and everything else.  Well, folks, they say "Quawool" in the English dubbing audio, and therefore I'm going to standardize "Quawool" as the official spelling used by me on this site.  Anyone who joins will only help that cause.  :P  Another great one -- "Arjah".  God only knows where that came from.  My sister Sarah, with her limited ability to read some simple Japanese, read the name as very specifically "Ah-ru-jah".  Arujah.  And in the Japanese audio, guess what -- he says "Ah-ru-jah"!  Knowing that r's are commonly mispronounced l's, we can see where the English dub makes out "Ah-lu-jah".  So therefore, I'm standardizing "Allujah" as the English spelling.  I don't know of any qualms on Alielle's brother's name, but I'm going with Parnosse.

So, to sum it up, that's Quawool, Allujah, and Parnosse.  

From this point on, those will be the way that I'll enforce they be spelled.  I of course can't actually make you do that, but I will encourage it at every given opportunity.  :P  Btw, up until now I was spelling Quawool as "Qawool", which is actually "Ka-wool" in English, so that's not right.  If you ever see it anywhere on the site, let me know and I'll fix it.  ;)

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 09:18:43 pm »

Another great one -- "Arjah".  God only knows where that came from.  My sister Sarah, with her limited ability to read some simple Japanese, read the name as very specifically "Ah-ru-jah".  Arujah.  And in the Japanese audio, guess what -- he says "Ah-ru-jah"!  Knowing that r's are commonly mispronounced l's, we can see where the English dub makes out "Ah-lu-jah".  So therefore, I'm standardizing "Allujah" as the English spelling.  

Oh no! You're dragging my pitiful, beginner, Japanese into this topic again! ^_^;

Though, the audio clearly DOES pronounce it as "Ah-ru-jah." So, I guess I'm out of the woods ^_^;

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 08:20:16 am »

*shakes her head* Look what I did now!  :P

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 09:35:14 pm »

Yes, anime spellings are hard. I just usually use the official spellings used by the companies who translated the shows; they may not always be right but it sure as hell simplifies the process. I'm still taking heat with the Purists for spelling Ryoga with no "u" and for writing Copy Rezo instead of Kopii Rezo.

I got yer Kopii here pal! *growls and waves fist*

Well, purists will be purists after all. AN forums was the worst of all. I had them climbing down my neck for saying Yu Watase, instead of Watase Yu. I remember somebody getting blasted for saying Speed Racer. OK, how long has Speed Racer been known as Speed Racer in this country? And, I doubt that pretentious person even knew what Mach Go Go Go really meant anyway (it's a pun ^^; ).

Conversely, you have reverse purists too. Who will freak out on you for saying things like Bannou Bunka Neko Musume Nuku Nuku. OK, it is the original Japanese title, and it sounds cute! A serious fan should be familiar with both names for a series or chara. And not get flamed for suing one or the other. There are more important things to be worried about.

But, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, pronounciation and spelling. Parnasse or Palnasse (or any variation on those spellings) should be sufficient. The problem with "foreign" and made up names in Japanese is, first the writer comes up with them. Then has to translate them into katakana or hiragana. Since this is syllablic, it's alters the pronounciation (i.e.- Verthani becomes Belldandy). Often times, altering it so much that fans outside of Japan aren't sure what to make of it. This, I suspect, happens often in Scrapped Princess. It's made even harder, since the spelling of certain names seem to change every episode. ^^; I'm sure everyone who watches fansubs experiences this curious phenomenon.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 09:42:03 pm »

That's pretty much what I said only better detailed on that side of it.  :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length