Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:42:37 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Question concerning English Voice Actor/Actresses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Question concerning English Voice Actor/Actresses  (Read 9581 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2003, 11:22:03 pm »

Yup.  And I must admit I agree with many reviews on it.  It crams too much too fast into 60 minutes.  I give it a C grade.  :P

However, for my internal purposes, it also hosts Nanami and Alielle's English VAs.

I'm damn sure that Makoto's VA does Kojiro's voice as well, but it can only be truly heard at one key moment when Kojiro randomly makes a totally Makoto yelp.  (And a few other moments when you can just hear the speaking style of the actor.)  But what's weird is, while I can positively identify both Marx and what's-his-name [Makoto's VA], neither of their names or any known alias can be seen in the English credits.  Probably means there are more aliases I'm not familiar with.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 11:23:58 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2003, 11:47:52 pm »

Really? I havent watched it in years, and would prefer to keep it that way if I can help it. It's pretty craptastic.

I do seriously recommend checking out Saber Marionette J when time/money/desire allows. It is a fine series. Or rather, several of them. The first TV series, which is fabulous, is 25 eps. Then there's the 6 ep OVA and the 26 ep sequel TV series. Oh yeah, and the radio dramas and the manga and Saber Marionette R OVA and........

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2003, 03:02:18 am »

Really? I havent watched it in years, and would prefer to keep it that way if I can help it. It's pretty craptastic.

I do seriously recommend checking out Saber Marionette J when time/money/desire allows. It is a fine series. Or rather, several of them. The first TV series, which is fabulous, is 25 eps. Then there's the 6 ep OVA and the 26 ep sequel TV series. Oh yeah, and the radio dramas and the manga and Saber Marionette R OVA and........

-_-

Speaking of craptastic...

Just so your are forewarned, Rob, there ARE dissenting opinions on SMJ, even if you'd never know it from the unrelenting praise it recieves on just about every website there is. I, personally, found it rather deplorable.

None of the three leading ladies were all that appealing to me... Lime was supposed to be cute and childlike (much like TV Ifurita, actually), but came across to me as just... stupid, in a way that TV Ifurita never did. Cherry, the happy homemaker, was pretty much useless for anything else (though she did have her moments - she was probably my favorite of the three). And Bloodberry was little more than a thug. Of Faust's batch, only one of them had any depth to speak of - Tiger, I think it was? Won't go into detail there 'cause I wouldn't want to spoil one of the best parts of the show.

The show as a whole had only so-so animation quality, and all but a few of the plotlines seemed either cliched or poorly-thought-out. And the sexist attitude the author had was just... appalling. I'm not talking about the attitudes the characters in the show had toward women - given that everyone in the show lives on a world where there have been no living women for centuries, that was perfectly acceptable. No, I'm talking about how the "women" that did exist were portrayed. Stereotype after stereotype, presented far more blatantly than in even some of the worst of other anime. I just about stopped watching right then and there, when Panther (I think it was) was foiled in one episode because she was deathly afraid of mice. -_- (Yeah, I know it was presented for comedic purposes, but, please, give me a break...)

The ending of the original TV series was pretty good, but I stopped watching after that. I wasn't about to plunk down any more of my hard-earned cash on a show that alternately bored or disgusted me most of the time, no matter how popular it was. Meh. Maybe I would have liked it better if I'd watched the dubbed version instead of the subbed version...

Though, it's certainly true that I'm one of a very few who disliked this show. Heck, even my brother liked it. So, maybe it'll be to your tastes after all.

The 1337 poster
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2003, 01:51:22 pm »

Well, as I said, it's not always about taste.  I'm also in it for the voices.  :P  Which is kind of a really sad waste of money.  So conversely it's good if the show has internal redeeming value.

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2003, 08:03:44 pm »

Off-topic... I had already thought about posting a "Saber Marionette J Is Not For Everyone" message.  I like it, myself, but when I watch it, I always get the feeling that the show is an acquired taste, or that some people just wouldn't like it.  It is different.  

J Again is even more like that.  In particular, there's a fan service episode that's pretty much a complete train wreck.  IMO, J Again is a poor sequel to the first series.  I've only got halfway thru J to X, as I type this, but it's a much better sequel so far IMO.

From memory, the English VA cast is different for all three series, and, again, Marx did Hanagata's voice in the J Again series only.  And I'm heavily biased for subtitles, but I found the dub of all three series to be generally poor.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2003, 12:48:21 am »

And I'm heavily biased for subtitles, but I found the dub of all three series to be generally poor.

Out of curiosity, which way was that supposed to go?  Are you "biased against subtitles, but" you found the dub poor or "biased for subtitles, and" you found the dub poor?

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2003, 08:45:34 pm »

Are you "biased against subtitles, but" you found the dub poor or "biased for subtitles, and" you found the dub poor?

Uh, it's the second one, if I understand you correctly.

What I was trying to say was, when I watch Japanese animation DVDs, I choose the subtitled Japanese track about 80% of the time, and in the age-old debate of subs vs. dubs, I come down firmly on the 'subs' side, not only because I find many dubs lacking (not to put down all the English dub script writers and voice actors, since I can only imagine how difficult it must be to produce a successful English dub), but also because I'm making an honest effort to learn Japanese as a second language; however, even if you take this personal bias against English dubs into account, I find the English dub of the Saber Marionette J anime that I've seen to date to be lacking in quality of writing and/or performance.  Or something like that  ^^;
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 11:20:28 pm »

Ah yes.  An infamous debate when it really ought to be left as a preference thing only.  However I have a grand distaste for those who hate without a solid reason.  Don't worry, I don't know your position well enough so I'm not saying this against you, just a general statement.

People who use lame reasoning like "the way anime was meant to be seen" or "English dub can never be good" [one bad apple ruins the bunch logic] or "English can't possibly represent Japanese accurately" [despite the fact the both us and the Japanese are humans who live on the same planet and incidently have even adopted a lot of Western culture]...

I can understand and accept "It helps me learn and understand the Japanese language", and possibly to help understand culture or humor, but most other reasons don't hold water with me.   And the aforementioned possible exclusions only work if you're taking an honest attempt to understand Japanese language/culture.

But me, personally... I know dubs that suck.  If it ever was dubbed for US children's television, it's almost guarenteed to be hacked to something to the effect of handing someone a microphone and telling them "talk when the characters move their mouths", having no knowledge of the show beforehand.

However, anything produced direct to video I can generally claim will be average (acceptable) to very well dubbed.  These are typically far more compact series that are sold at rediculously high prices, but generally get a good staff who made an honest attempt to be true to the story but also make it entertaining and use Western-style humor without being cheezy.  I am, of course, thinking of the El-Hazard OAV boxset as I type this.  

I would activate subtitles to check just about every key plot point and also on spots where Western humor was added to double-check the dub writers' work.  To be honest, myself along with most people who's random reviews I've come across will generally agree the dub was much funnier than the original, but not too funny or damaging to the plot.  Only recently did I read someone mention something to the effect that the series wasn't meant to be funny at all, and I honestly would've guessed that based on some of the subtitle equivalents.  

But y'know... you try to be moody ALL the time with no comic relief and then it's just a downer OR you get bored.  At least, that's how it is for me.

But anywho, not really wanting to make this a Dub/Sub fight at all, I take things on subjective-basis.  I watch a title, check it for accuracy randomly, and then I'll tell you what I think.  That's all.  :P

If you've always watched subtitles all your life but don't really have any personal conviction as to why, that's when I'd like you to take a moment and read the article I've kept linked in my sig for months now.  I personally think that as long as you hear, read, and speak English, and don't think you'd have any real use for Japanese, dubs are going to get you the better entertainment package typically.

Of course, ironically, I do actually have use for Japanese.  So much mystery could be revealed inside of the many El-Hazard books I've collected, among other things, but I'm completely illiterate.  However, I nearly fried my brain today with a Physics II final that took one-and-a-half hours to complete... and I was only one of the first to get done.  Couple that with another Digital Electronics test of the same duration I had earlier today.  Case in point, my mind is too overloaded 24/7 to be learning languages that I don't need in day-to-day life.  Thus, Japanese, for me, is not really useful to watch, either.  

But I learned long ago to be open-minded to people and their personal choices, even if conflicting with my own interests, as long as they back it up with solid reasoning.  As long as I'm not off-balance like some of you may saw when I got into financial panic, I'll be very open to either side.  :P
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 11:21:23 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2003, 12:44:05 am »

^^; ^^; ^^;

Ummm... getting back to our original off-topic topic...... I've never met anyone who didn't like Saber Marionette J (though there certainly are alot of Anti-R purists  -_-). Except this one kid on animenation.net/forums who was desperately seeking resolution to the following conflict; "I like SMJ, but all my friends think it's gay." The funniest part is that everyone else in the thread thought he was referring to Hangata. But I digress... if SMJ isn't gay enough for you, you could always watch Gravitation! XD ::slaps knee::

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2003, 10:01:42 am »

Gravitation! XD ::slaps knee::

Is that from talking to my sister or are you just equally familiar?  :P

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2003, 10:09:01 pm »

Is that from talking to my sister or are you just equally familiar?  :P

Let's just say that I know two things about Gravitation.

1) It's shounen ai.
2) Like most shounen ai, it's about a rock band

And that's all I need to know!

::hides under bed from heebie jeebies::

Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2003, 07:02:55 pm »

Let's just say that I know two things about Gravitation.

1) It's shounen ai.
2) Like most shounen ai, it's about a rock band

And that's all I need to know!

::hides under bed from heebie jeebies::

*snickers* I wasn't aware most shounen ai titles were about rock bands? I thought Gravi was the only one... >D

(I HAVE heard things about Sotsugyou M, but I haven't actually ever seen it so I can't judge. :-/)

I mean, from what I know... *ponder* Utena (while dabbling in a little bit of everything) is about a crazy school and a lot of people who are messed up in the head. Yami no Matsuei is about the afterlife equivalent of the FBI. Petshop of Horrors is about, er... a nutty petshop. :3

Kizuna has yakuza, Level-C has models, Boku no Sexual Harrassment has salarymen...

Legend of the Blue Wolves has Gundam-esque soldiers, Fujimi Orchestra has violinists and conductors, After School in the Teacher's Lounge has, well, teachers...

Mirage of Blaze has teenagers and feudal spirits, Fake has cops, Weiss Kreuz has assassins (I know it's not technically yaoi, but come on... seriously).

And El-Hazard has bisexual nancy-boy protagonists and crazy dictators. *SHOT*

So I guess Zetsuai/Bronze has a rock star with teh angstTM, but... Most shounen ai, indeed. ^_^V

So the moderately-unrelated lesson to be learned? It can get a LOT gayer than Gravitation, darlings. I seen it! <3
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 07:05:14 pm by xel » Logged

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2003, 10:35:54 pm »

*snickers* I wasn't aware most shounen ai titles were about rock bands? I thought Gravi was the only one... >D

So I guess Zetsuai/Bronze has a rock star with teh angstTM, but... Most shounen ai, indeed. ^_^V

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. A friend and collaborator on my old manga website just couldn't stop talking about it. *PH33R*

mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2004, 06:55:48 pm »

Our illustrious leader mentioned about how several of the voice actors/actresses from El Hazard were also featured in Hand Maid May.

Not suprisingly, I've noticed several others in Trigun (yet another Pioneer production.)   Meryl Stryfe's VA is a dead ringer for Dorothy Melendrez (Miz) and Millie Thompson's is Lia Sargent (of course, Nanami.)

Sargent demonstrates her versatility once again.  In EH, Nanami posses a sometimes forceful personality and a ready wit.  In Trigun, Millie has that sweet loveable girl next door thing going for her (despite being nearly six feet tall and toting what at first blush appears to be a Vulcan cannon!)  Although, comparing the two characters...let's just say Millie ain't the sharpest tool in the cabinet.

Anyone who enjoyed the comedic elements in EH would likely enjoy Trigun as well.  And there is a worthwhile story slowly unfolding as my wife and I continue to watch.

--me

Mark Engels
nirvana
Bugrom Forces

A Wandering Dreamer in the Land of Beautiful Girls

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2005, 08:18:49 pm »

FYI: The Wanderers version of Ifurita and Kalia for OVA 2 were both voiced by Juile Pickering (Now better known as Juile Ann Taylor) ;)

"Like a dream from a time faraway, a sweet memory lingers from the distant past. Like a kingdom that you reach. After many years of dreaming, El-Hazard is the eternal homeland and the land of never-ending adventures. As long as there is a challenging
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines