Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:45 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Geography and chronology questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Geography and chronology questions  (Read 12211 times)
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2003, 12:33:04 am »

*nervously stands up and waves* Hi everyone.  My name is Rowan A. Seven, and this is my first post here.  Let me begin by saying that this is probably the best El-Hazard fansite I've come across, and I would like to express my sincere thanks to the site owners for the hard work they've put into this.  If I ever obtain something El-Hazard related to contribute, I'll do so.

Anyway, being a halfway decent fanfiction writer (in my obviously biased opinion, at any rate) and a big fan of the El-Hazard series, a story idea has begun to solidify in my mind, and I'd like to attempt to compose it.  However, there are two questions I have in regard to the world of El-Hazard before I attempt this.  The first is whether or not any decent maps of El-Hazard exist so I can avoid making geographical errors.  The other is just how long ago the Ancient wars ended.  For some reason the numbers 1,000 and 10,000 years keep popping up in my head, but I can't recall if the exact date was ever specified.

Thank you in advance to those who respond.

Best wishes,
Rowan A. Seven

P.S.  Rob, thanks for the suggestion to buy the El-Hazard Roleplaying Resource Book.  Being the big Bugrom and Phantom Tribe fan that I am, that book was full of neat facts and ideas and really helped to add depth to El-Hazard.
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 01:12:44 am »

Let me begin by saying that this is probably the best El-Hazard fansite I've come across, and I would like to express my sincere thanks to the site owners for the hard work they've put into this.

*absorbs the compliments like a dry sponge in water* Thank you much!

If I ever obtain something El-Hazard related to contribute, I'll do so.

I'm glad to know, although at my rate, I'll end up buying almost everything within possibility. ;)  But you never know what the future may bring...

Anyway, being a halfway decent fanfiction writer (in my obviously biased opinion, at any rate) and a big fan of the El-Hazard series...

Hmm, good to know, I might need some of you types later for assistance...

The first is whether or not any decent maps of El-Hazard exist so I can avoid making geographical errors.

Unfortunately, not particulaly.  The "map" oft used in the series before an episode started is too blurry, and I don't think even has real names printed on it to be useful.  The only other thing that really had a map was the Saturn game...

... which I guess you can use, but it has Wanderers bias and only pinpoints where the elemental priestess shrines, Arliman, and Floristica are.

The other is just how long ago the Ancient wars ended.  For some reason the numbers 1,000 and 10,000 years keep popping up in my head, but I can't recall if the exact date was ever specified.

As far as I know, no.  The only 10,000 year mark would be the time between Ifurita leaving and getting back to Makoto.  The actual wars AFAIK have no actual date stamp.  We just know it had to be enough time for a highly advanced technology society to blow itself to bits, and thusly have generations of people forget about all that was.

P.S.  Rob, thanks for the suggestion to buy the El-Hazard Roleplaying Resource Book...

Glad to be of help.  I totally agree about it, it's an amazing bit of writing!

Any other questions on any continuity, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2003, 01:47:04 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 12:25:21 pm »

The map question:

I'm pretty sure that the "Tolkien-esque" map seen on every Wanderers title card and on the credits of OAV episode 1 exists in pristine condition in some rare Japanese art book.

But like Rob says, it's more of a novelty, with no real "directions" as such.

All you really need to know, geographical, is that the good guys (Roshtaria, Arliman etc) are on one side of El-Hazard and the bad guys (Bugrom Hive) are on the other. Both are divided by the Holy River of God, natch.

"The other is just how long ago the Ancient wars ended.  For some reason the numbers 1,000 and 10,000 years keep popping up in my head, but I can't recall if the exact date was ever specified."

As far as I know, no.  The only 10,000 year mark would be the time between Ifurita leaving and getting back to Makoto.  The actual wars AFAIK have no actual date stamp.  We just know it had to be enough time for a highly advanced technology society to blow itself to bits, and thusly have generations of people forget about all that was.

Heh. It's funny that you mention that. Y'see, I was in my English Literature class yesterday and we discussing where the human race and the world in general would be 20 years from now.

After some discussion, Eve, a fellow student, said that she had read that the world is in for a 1000 year war with Afghanistan (or whoever we hate now) and then we would reach some sort of "golden age".

;) Of course, this relates back to Rob's theory of El-Hazard being the future of Earth. And perhaps if I wasn't a good 10, 000 years off, maybe this "golden age" could be El-Hazard. ;D Ahhh. We can only dream.

Maximum boobage!!
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 12:47:31 pm »

After some discussion, Eve, a fellow student, said that she had read that the world is in for a 1000 year war with Afghanistan (or whoever we hate now) and then we would reach some sort of "golden age".

;) Of course, this relates back to Rob's theory of El-Hazard being the future of Earth. And perhaps if I wasn't a good 10, 000 years off, maybe this "golden age" could be El-Hazard. ;D Ahhh. We can only dream.

GREAT! Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to live that long... (I want to sample those little flying-fish-bird things that they were eating on the first night)  ^_^ Yes, I am in a strange, strange mood...

That and robots ^_^ ooh yeah...I wonder if they had any bishi demon gods of destruction...

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 12:54:16 pm »

That and robots ^_^ ooh yeah...I wonder if they had any bishi demon godsof destruction...

Well, there are two answers to that, depending on which universe you consider:

OAV1/Wanderers alone: As we only see Ifurita as the only "demon god", it is assumed that she is a unique weapon.

OAV1 + OAV2 - AW/Manga: Demon gods are mass produced and the manga has proven to have male demon gods (can't remember his name at the moment).

So, yeah. You could probably have your "bish" male weapons of destruction.

Maximum boobage!!
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 12:58:13 pm »

OAV1 + OAV2 - AW/Manga: Demon gods are mass produced and the manga has proven to have male demon gods (can't remember his name at the moment).

So, yeah. You could probably have your "bish" male weapons of destruction.

Sweet! Score one for me ^_^
Must... resist... urge.... to... lust... after... weapon... of... mass... destruction... (meh... who am I kidding?)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2003, 01:09:06 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 02:49:30 pm »

Ifurit Ab-Zahal.  Poor guy gets his head blown off, not to put too fine a point on it.

Picture of

... some rare Japanese art book ...

I should have three on the way, provided those three different eBay people have gotten these things moving along... so if there's any truth in that, we'll find out.  I even should be getting the one where that "Makoto and Nanami in the 70's" weirdness came from...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2003, 03:02:48 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 03:05:27 pm »

Ifurit Ab-Zahal.  Poor guy gets his head blown off, not to put too fine a point on it.

Picture of

He's not bishi... he's just scary looking O_o
*runs off to draw a bishi El-Hazard demon god*

Netto:
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 07:15:39 pm »

*fun fact* He's dressed in a traditional Aegean sea outfit.

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 05:18:14 pm »

I've noticed in more than one thread, that you guys have this "El Hazard is Earth" theory and it's the first time I've ever heard of such. Although it is an interesting theory. And seeing as how, from a physics standpoint, it should be easier to travel through time than space. Then it's entirely possible!

Space travel is theoretically possible, although very impractical. Dimensional warping is a way of getting around this, although again impractical. But, if you think of time as being linear like a ruler and  everything and everyone that ever existed being marked on it as such, isn't it possible to slide up and down this given ruler if you had the power to do such? It would make all the comings and goings between "Earth" and "El Hazard" make more sense (if you even compelled to break it down as such, it is just fantasy after all ^^; ).

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2003, 06:24:03 pm »

Well, for a short duration I was supporting the theory, at least as a curiosity.  However, my most recent workings have made it unimportant either way, so I don't think about it too much.

However, wether it's true or not, I do like to theorize time as a linear dimension (4th).  El-Hazard, however, would cause time paradoxes if there's only a 4th dimension, when events performed would cancel previous events making the whole situation impossible and an eternal logic loop and such.  (Ifurita can't actually go back and get Makoto before Makoto ever got to El-Hazard in the first place...) Thusly, wether it's actually needed in travel or not, I also speculated another dimension (5th) being loosely labeled "existance".  It's an extra to define cumulitively where (first three dimensions) something occured, when (4th) it occured, and under what set of circumstances that led up to the point (5th).  Basically, to prevent the paradox, a version of when it never happened automatically subdivides onto a different 5th dimensional track, and the one where it did becomes the active one.  The mere existance of the other uneventful track keeps things in check.

But that's all background.  Wether El-Hazard is actually Earth currently remains unimportant to note.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2003, 07:13:10 pm »

Well, there wouldn't be paradoxes is you think of time as a Mobius strip. This one friend of mine has some "issues" with time travel. But if you've read Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5" (I think it was Slaughterhouse 5? it's been so long since I read it), there is a race of aliens in there that exist at all points in time from their birth to their death. And they witness these events every day of their life. It's like they're looking at a vast landscape. And humans are looking through only a tiny pinhole at the same scene. Anyway, I find it to be an interesting concept.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 04:09:23 pm »

Are we talkin' about EH?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 10:23:20 pm »

We're talking about concepts of EH.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 05:34:22 am »

Oh, okay. Now i'm actually understanding this.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines