Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:32 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard Tidbits!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard Tidbits!  (Read 5784 times)
atanapotnia
« on: December 31, 2002, 04:02:25 pm »

Hello all,

Just a few tidbits; unsure as to whether they've been mentioned before as this is my first time to the Forum.

(a) Jinnai's character was named after Katsuhiko Nishijima, the creator of the Project A-ko series. I find this neat because they're my two fave series.

(b) I'm sure you've already caught news references on TV to the "Bagrom" Airbase...but the "El-Hazard" Middle Eastern theme goes further than that. I am no student of the Koran, but supposedly "Ifreet" and "Diva" are the names of demons!

Oh, a question, too -- What the heck was that about the little carniverous bugs in Alternative World? That particular plot thread went nowhere. And how did Jinnai lose 70 pounds in a week? The joys of animation -- ^_^

Happy New Year!

8) Atana (aka Katie)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 07:00:05 pm »

What the heck was that about the little carniverous bugs in Alternative World? That particular plot thread went nowhere.

As I briefly mentioned in the one email, I think AW was building up a lot of stuff that was to be answered in a following series.

I have a feeling that the "Alternative World" wasn't actually to be any amount of "alternative" whatsoever, but rather a "past" of El-Hazard (possibly post-war, but without all the technology actually having been erradicated and forgotten yet), or maybe even simply an alternate location on the same planet that has no knowledge of the other half of the world!

Either way, this could account for a different specie or underdeveloped form of bugrom, which seems to be what those little crawlers were...

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 12:32:48 pm »

Katie wrote...

(a) Jinnai's character was named after Katsuhiko Nishijima, the creator of the Project A-ko series. I find this neat because they're my two fave series.

Not mentioned. However, I do recall whilst talking to Rob that the family name "Jinnai" is supposed to "unwell" in Japanese (we went onto talk about how "Makoto" also means "angel" or something in Japanese as well).

I'm not usually a fan of Japanese name jokes, as I don't speak Japanese, but yeah. ;P As we were on the topic of Jinnai's name.

Oh, a question, too -- What the heck was that about the little carniverous bugs in Alternative World? That particular plot thread went nowhere. And how did Jinnai lose 70 pounds in a week? The joys of animation -- ^_^

Ah yes, the infamous Jinnai gets fat scene. Quite horrific. ;) They probably wanted to get Jinnai thin again as soon as possible. Just like most of the audience.

Rob wrote...

I have a feeling that <snip!> the other half of the world!

;) Oh Rob, you and your fanfic-y ideas! [finger waggle] From what I've seen of AW, there seems to be no reason to think that the AW is nothing more than an AW. After all, Creteria is obviously an alternate Roshtaria and so on and so forth.

Of course, I'm a big nay sayer, so why listen to me? ;D

Maximum boobage!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 03:33:17 pm »

Well, alternatively I've also concidered AW to be a 5th dimension linear shift, and what that means will just have to wait until I write my little theory report on existance related to the 4th and 5th dimensions. ;p

Another possibilty to me is that it is merely some type of complete fantasy world concocted by Allujah himself.  This being guessed by something you have yet to see, Neil, towards the very end of the series.  Allujah gives Makoto these full space visions of El-Hazard and also Japan, when trying to tempt him not to stop him.  Perhaps it's possible the entire world was something virtualized by Allujah... the only problem with that is, it would've ceased to exist and showing it in the end is probably illogical, just like actually being able to solve their problems.  Oh well.

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 11:43:12 pm »

However, I do recall whilst talking to Rob that the family name "Jinnai" is supposed to "unwell" in Japanese (we went onto talk about how "Makoto" also means "angel" or something in Japanese as well).

I'm not usually a fan of Japanese name jokes, as I don't speak Japanese, but yeah. ;P As we were on the topic of Jinnai's name.

*pulls out her new Kanji book*

It says here that Makoto means "sincerity." (Tenshi is angel - I know this from watching too much Pita Ten)

and Jinnai as far as I know means "not" -- or at least that's how I've seen it used...

But I could be wrong... I know very little Japanese...and all that I do know mainly came from Anime and video games...

*crawls back into her corner*

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 02:16:07 am »

Yes, my sister is attempting to learn Japanese here.  There's still one picture that I feel has the highest demand of immediate translation someday:

Whatever this is

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 03:44:06 pm »

Yes, my sister is attempting to learn Japanese here.  There's still one picture that I feel has the highest demand of immediate translation someday:

Whatever this is

The left side says "Iyaaaaaaaaa!" That's all I can tell you right now save for a few random sounds... :p I've only been studying hiragana and katakana for a week... And I can only identify one Kanji on sight and that is "stop." Once I take that class in February... maybe I'll be of more help to you ^_^

I don't know Bob I think that picture is self explanatory O_o
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 03:48:51 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
rogewolf
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 01:33:52 am »

oh look, a clip of Jinnai laughing in "pretty sammy the magical girl" episode one, looks like your gonna have to look for it now Rob
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 12:07:44 pm »

I could probably spare him the hassle and rip it myself (as I am collecting all the Pretty Sammy stuff eventually, and Rob isn't much of a Tenchi fan).

What series? OAV or TV?

Maximum boobage!!
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2003, 03:53:27 pm »

What series? OAV or TV?

That would, if memory serves me correctly, be in the first episode of the tv series Magical Project S where Mihoshi asks the class what they want to be when they grow up, and Konoha answers something to the effect that her cousin (Jinnai) and she are going to conquer the world.  I guess Jinnai's not the only megalomaniac in the family, after all.
BRPXQZME
Dimension Traveler

Now celebrating 100 years of sci-fi movies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 09:53:05 pm »

As I have stated in a previous topic, Makoto can mean a various number of positive things, not just into one equivalent word in English.  No wonder it's a somewhat popular name among Japanese.

As for that pic...  Eh, I'll get around to full-time translation this summer.

I know I fall off the face of the planet sometimes.  I suggest you try it, too.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2003, 03:54:38 pm »

I am no student of the Koran, but supposedly "Ifreet" and "Diva" are the names of demons!

Not sure of what the origins of "Diva" are (thought it was Greek?) but "Ifreet" (or Ifurita in Hiragana) is a demon from The Thousand and One Nights.

I'd heard convincing arguments for Alternative World being both the past and the future of El Hazard. Both the under-developed Bugrom and the very different architecture, political and social climate point to it being at some point in ancient El Hazard history.

However, it could also be the future of El Hazard. It's perfectly resonable to assume that the Bugrom could be all but wiped out at some point, and the remains of the race or some branch species would develop and evolve in their place. It's happened with many species here on earth! And, let's say the people of El Hazard eventually shrug off the inherited technology of their ancestors in favor of developing their own industries? That would explain why the almost-utopian atmosphere of "present day" El Hazard eventually fell into a totalitarian state.

And.......why is the Eye of God in pieces? You'll remember from Ifurita's flashbacks that the Eye of God was assembled in orbit.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines