Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:52 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El Hazard Desktops Treatment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: El Hazard Desktops Treatment?  (Read 9637 times)
theravenisdead
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 12:15:20 am »

Aside from occasionally deciding to change some of my system settings by itself at random, OS 10.2 is the best operating system I've ever worked with. WinXP is OK, as far as MS OS' go (I have to warn you, aside from XBox, I'm extremely anti-Microsoft. But I try to behave myself for social reason. ^^; ). My one major gripe about XP is, why do they say you never get a blue screen of death. when I get at least one a month at work? ^^;

So far, ive been blue screen free. And i started using XP in October. Sure, ive had the rare freezeup during a shutdown (which is nothing major anyways) but besides that, nothing.  :-/ Although im using XP Professional Corporate Edition, which is insanely stable (XP Home Edition sucks  :P) Ah well, I like Mac OS X too but Macs have never been popular with me.
BTW, anyone see Apple's new Pentium-killer G5 Power Mac? ::runs before another violent computer debate starts::

Nope, Didnt know they existed o.o; We'll see how they perform msoon enough I guess. The G4's have been outdated for years now >.< *runs with Saucer*
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 12:33:19 am by theravenisdead » Logged
theravenisdead
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 01:45:32 am »

Here's another pic for the curious.

Its  a shot of the desktop on my laptop (an old Pentium 100mhz with 40mb ram, Win98SE, maxed out, etc.)

http://www.geocities.com/shaylasr4v3n/desktop3.html
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 08:25:43 am »

Amusing pic.  :P

As for the interwoven topic:
XP is generally stable, but any machine that's run in a stressful enviornment (work) is bound to be more busy than you can imagine (especially if on a network, where its running signals all over whether or not you're even thinking about it.)

I don't have any real problem with Macs (electronics are electronics, I love 'em all), but they're too damn expensive.  I can spend $200 and buy a new motherboard, processor, case, memory included on the IBM side of things.  Can't do that for a new Mac.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 08:48:24 am »

You know, the REAL problem with Windows XP is that it's just about impossible for me to read "XP" without seeing the emoticon instead.

Bleah!

XP

The 1337 poster
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2003, 09:03:30 am »

I know, I know... when it first came out, a buddy of mine said "It's like Microsoft is mocking us."  Someone else noted the sequel would be "Windows XD"

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2003, 11:10:07 am »

Well, here's a problem for ya all! My dad got a new scanner, it's a Canon one, and he's trying to install it. After he's installed it, he tries the whole 'scan in' thing, but it doesn't work because it says that no device is detected or something like that.

The only way he can install it is using Twain, so you guys have any idea's what to do?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2003, 03:12:44 am »

How about SENDING a G5 Macintosh so Rob can develop on there?  :P

LOL! You think if I had 3 grand to blow on a new comp I'd send it to Rob? (no offense buddy ^^; )

As for the interwoven topic:
XP is generally stable, but any machine that's run in a stressful enviornment (work) is bound to be more busy than you can imagine (especially if on a network, where its running signals all over whether or not you're even thinking about it.)

True dat. We have alot of security programs on our public stations at the library I work at. They don't help matter. Oh yeah, and Adobe Acrobat Reader! Arrggghhhh, can't they just please write a version that's actually compatible with XP? -.-

I don't have any real problem with Macs (electronics are electronics, I love 'em all), but they're too damn expensive.  I can spend $200 and buy a new motherboard, processor, case, memory included on the IBM side of things.  Can't do that for a new Mac.

Yup, they're pricey. That's for sure. I don't mind splashing the extra dough on them though. You can usually get upgrade processors and things for most towers though, even older 68k ones.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2003, 08:26:44 am »

You can usually get upgrade processors ... even older 68k ones.

Not anymore or I would've done that by now and ported EHPC properly.  It doesn't even show up on eBay or anything (though I suppose I don't search THAT often for it.)

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2003, 09:10:11 pm »

Well, I'm not sure what model number your Quadras are. But you could try http://eshop.macsales.com/Accelerators/index.cfm

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2003, 09:47:21 pm »

Quadra 950.  Check out the MASSIVE results.  ;p

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2003, 10:27:32 pm »

You could probably find a G3 Power Mac on eBay if you wanted one. I know those are upgradable. ^^;

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2003, 10:54:04 pm »

There's a bunch.  I almost bought one once... but it's $200.  And I already need to work something like 3 or 4 months to get out of the hole I'm in.  So money like that can't be so easily splurged.

Besides, I'm gonna get into 3D now I hope.  I'll probably need a half-decent somewhat-modern Mac that's gonna kick it with OpenGL.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2003, 10:23:34 pm »

There's a bunch.  I almost bought one once... but it's $200.  And I already need to work something like 3 or 4 months to get out of the hole I'm in.  So money like that can't be so easily splurged.

Besides, I'm gonna get into 3D now I hope.  I'll probably need a half-decent somewhat-modern Mac that's gonna kick it with OpenGL.

Sounds good man. If you wait long enough and save your pennies, the right Mac will drop right in your lap. You could even do with a later model G3 iMac, one made on or after Fall 1999. Just make sure you pick up one with a slot-loading drive (as opposed to a tray). The earlier iMac will only take up to 192MB RAM and it's a pain in the ass to get them open and apart. -.-

schlock_kork
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2003, 10:51:51 pm »

Hm well, it's been a while... Anyway, my desktop usually goes together with my winamp, trillian/icq theme.

At the moment it's Lain (the first bright one, I usually have dark ones).

http://mitglied.lycos.de/TinNyanko/forum/desktop.jpg
theravenisdead
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2003, 02:52:38 pm »

I just finished installing Red Hat 6.2 on my p100 laptop, n here's my KDE desktop :D enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/shaylasr4v3n/linux.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 02:53:40 pm by theravenisdead » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines