Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:23 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Throwing out an idea
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Throwing out an idea  (Read 4323 times)
amanda_dale
Londs' Screen Time

AOL Instant Messenger - IfuritaD
View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2003, 12:46:20 am »

I was wondering if anyone's ever done a fanfic focusing on Nanami and the Phantom Tribe? I haven't run across it, but I have an unparalelled capacity for overlooking things that are right under my nose.  :-[
Anyway, the idea that's been bugging me (but which I'll probably never get around to writing because I already have too many unfinished projects) is Nanami being dragged into an effort to bring the Phantom Tribe into the mainstream of EH society. Admittedly, a lot of them may be ticked at her for her role in killing Gallus, but at least she has a somewhat more positive attitude towards them than anyone else. Maybe her ability gives her an affinity for them rather like Jinnai and the Bugrom?
Just a thought...comments/ opinions anybody?

worshipper of the Demon Goddess Ifurita
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 01:17:59 am »

As far as I know, there's no story focusing specifically on Nanami and the Phantom Tribe. However in at least two stories, a significant subplot is set aside for something similar.

In Dooky's The Shape of Things to Come, much of the story revolves around the efforts of a minority among the Phantom Tribe attempting to ally with and live within the Allied Nations. Parnasse eventually even hooks up with a cute Phantom Tribe girl, the lucky stiff. ;)

In Mark Engels's and Ken Wolfe's Rough Justice, a number of Phantom Tribe members live within the Allied Nations, as well, and one of them is married to Nanami. The lucky stiff. ;D

In both cases, rather nasty racism is typically shown by the humans toward the Phantom immigrants.

You're right about Nanami seeming more positive toward the Phantom Tribe than anyone. On ALL THREE seperate occasions, upon meeting a member of the Phantom Tribe for the first time, she had something nice to say:

TO KURAYA: Your skin is beautiful.

TO NAHATO: How cute! It's a little Phantom Tribe boy!

TO GALUS: How cute! A marriage between the Phantom Tribe and the royal house!

That, plus her naturally immunity to the illusions of the Phantom Tribe, certainly make her a natural choice for bridging the gap between the embittered races of El-Hazard. Heck, her blood-ties to the military leader of the Bugrom might make her a good candidate for diplomacy there, too!

Or, maybe not. :P

The 1337 poster
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 08:00:13 pm »

I was wondering if anyone's ever done a fanfic focusing on Nanami and the Phantom Tribe?

Besides the titles Spanner already mentioned, that reminds me of a short story by Eponymous, where a young Galus meets a young Rune Venus.
On The Surface
But I don't remember a story exactly like the one you're describing.  That's actually a benefit of writing for a relatively obscure franchise.  It's still fairly easy to break new ground.

Maybe her ability gives her an affinity for them rather like Jinnai and the Bugrom?

That's very insightful.  Jinnai's ability got him a Bugrom queen, and Makoto's ability got him a demon-god.  Even Fujisawa's super-strength got him a priestess, if only in an indirect way.

It's a shame poor Nanami couldn't have got a boyfriend.  It hardly seems fair, what with the three guys meeting intelligent, powerful, and impossibly beautiful women, all within days (?).

In both cases, rather nasty racism is typically shown by the humans toward the Phantom immigrants.

I think each story has its own angle.  From memory, SOTTC was more concerned with straightforward racism, and Rough Justice emphasized the politics of warfare.  Hana Ni Arashi (plug, plug) is building up to a theme of revenge-- how revenge is pointless, and still, it seems inevitable and inescapable.

You're right about Nanami seeming more positive toward the Phantom Tribe than anyone.

I'm going to try to write something like that, for Nanami, into Hana Ni Arashi at some point-- even after what's happened to her...
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 08:16:50 am »

I thought the membership might be interested to hear Mr. Wolfe's comments on the matter.

--me

Mark Engels

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:35:05 -0500
To: "Mark Engels" <mark_engels@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Some indirect RJ feedback

Thanks Mark. Saying that Nanami has a "positive" outlook on the Phantom Tribe is a polite way to put it. The fact is she's got the hots for them! Why would
she still go gaga over them after every Tribesmen she's ever met was trying to kill somebody??

--
Ken Wolfe
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
kenwolfe@mts.net
http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 12:28:33 pm »

... I'm not seeing where he's getting that from.  The only "official" meetings of Phantom Tribers were Kariya, Nahato, and Galus.

She thought Rune and Galus being together was great because it was probably like a symbol of peace coming between two warring races (species).

Nahato was just cute.

Kariya was an introduction.  ("I've never seen blue skin before.")

Now, perhaps Mr. Wolfe has written some stories of his own on this point of his, but how he came about it I'm afraid I don't see.  :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 12:28:51 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines