Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  How were you hooked?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: How were you hooked?  (Read 8986 times)
lune_venus
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2003, 07:54:22 pm »

How was I hooked? well it was the first anime I watch on the uni's anime club. The moment I saw Ifurita & Makoto I was hooked, she looked so inlove with him. So I wanted to know why she had sent him to another world and why wasn't she there? I must say I was very impressed with the storyline & the characters as well. My fave character is Ifurita all the way.

offtopic: is it just me or the pages take a long time to load? my connection is dsl and they less than a minute.
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2003, 09:13:34 pm »

They might depending on the server load.  Right now I host everything on my own horsepower using my own DSL.  This is not incredible for bandwidth.  (Most DSL packages including mine only feature 128kbps UPSTREAM, the stuff that goes outward.  This is incredibly limiting for hosting like I do.)  Eventually when I can afford to buy some more "professional" hosting I will.  (Right now the only "professional" hosting is elhazardonline-dl.net which is for file hosting only)

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
daznsun
Londs' Screen Time

Reich Führer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2003, 12:50:13 am »

I had my first taste of El-Hazard when it was shown on the Internation Channel (still is).  There was nothing else to watch around taht time (~8) and i think any anime is better than those crap sitcoms they have nowadays.

I think the first episode i watched was the hot springs one... suffice to say, I was pretty confused.

"Suicide. It's a way of telling God you can't fire me, I quit..."
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2003, 02:32:59 pm »

I agree, that anime is more entertaining and enlightning than most of the dribble that's been on TV the last 20 years or so. ^^;

At least, it doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2003, 10:58:41 pm »

Well, my first exposure to El Hazard was all the way back in 1996. I was still in high school, and to my surprise a videogame import store opened up in my neighborhood. Not only did they sell neat crap from Japan, but they also rented out subtitled copies of various anime. Of the many titles I had rented, El Hazard struck me as the most unique. This was mostly due to the character of Jinnai, who in my opinion is the best villian to grace any screen.

After a while I lost interest with the show, moving on to others like Ranma and Evangelion. It wasn't until a year or so ago that my interest was rekindled, when I picked up the OAV DVD box set. I watched it dubbed this time, and instantly fell in love with the characters. The entire cast was great, and offered a completely different experience from the subtitled version. Jinnai became my main man again, as Bob Marx's portrayal really gave him new life for me.

I Care Deep
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 12:03:18 am »

Yes.  Bob Marx = God.  They couldn't have picked a more perfect VA to do the English dub!   ;D  I mean, he even near perfectly does the laugh with the same trills compared to the original Japanese VA.

He is the reason alone I bought the Hand Maid May DVD's; he voices Kotaro Nanbara, who is essentially Jinnai on sugar.  ;p

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2003, 10:28:23 pm »

He is the reason alone I bought the Hand Maid May DVD's; he voices Kotaro Nanbara, who is essentially Jinnai on sugar.  ;p

Nanbara-sama (and I use the honorific grudgingly -.-) is more like Jinnai on a mixture of sugar, crack, ice, heroin, prozac and paint fumes. ^_^;;;
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 10:28:54 pm by saucer » Logged

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2003, 11:10:55 pm »

... it doesn't work as well if we focus on the Japanese character.  Then it's even lighter as a similiarity.  The true gag mostly exists in the tied English VA's.  I mean, he's not THAT much like Jinnai.   :-/  The English VA makes him more Jinnai like mostly in his behavior and acting that flows more like the Jinnai he played in English El-Hazard.  I mean, purely he's more just an isolated nutcase with some simple parallels, but nothing to write home about.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 11:12:01 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2003, 12:59:58 am »

Hand Maid May, eh? I must pick that up as soon as I get the chance. I already own most of the shows and movies Bob Marx has been in, including Perfect Blue, Trigun, and of course El Hazard.

Too bad he isn't in too many things, although that does make collecting his stuff easier...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:00:41 am by lord_god_jinnai » Logged

I Care Deep
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2003, 08:12:17 am »

I agree, that anime is more entertaining and enlightning than most of the dribble that's been on TV the last 20 years or so. ^^;

At least, it doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator!

I had to chuckle when I read this. A lot of anime panders to some pretty low common denominators, in my opinion. :P

It's simply a matter of recognizing just WHAT constitutes a low common denominator. After all, the goal for just about ANY product is to get as many people as possible to buy it. Japan has different lowest common denominators, not necessarily better ones.

A vast majority of anime is rife with sexism, Lolicon, fanservice, and trite plots. I'm not sure I'd like to put any of these attributes on any sort of pedistal. :-X

The 1337 poster
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2003, 09:04:53 am »

Hand Maid May, eh? I must pick that up as soon as I get the chance. I already own most of the shows and movies Bob Marx has been in, including Perfect Blue, Trigun, and of course El Hazard.

Too bad he isn't in too many things, although that does make collecting his stuff easier...

I'll get into this one of these days.  I'm curious as to a full list though.  ;)  Isn't there at least one where he actually VA's a good guy?

A vast majority of anime is rife with sexism, Lolicon, fanservice, and trite plots. I'm not sure I'd like to put any of these attributes on any sort of pedistal.  

Agreed.  :P  But if we just focus on the qualm of "more entertaining" than some stuff on TV, even the obviously low stuff mentioned here can be quite entertaining anyway.  ;)

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »

He's also in Tokyo Revelation. Rather craptastic OVA released years ago. I don't know if it ever made it to DVD.

I had to chuckle when I read this. A lot of anime panders to some pretty low common denominators, in my opinion. :P

It's simply a matter of recognizing just WHAT constitutes a low common denominator. After all, the goal for just about ANY product is to get as many people as possible to buy it. Japan has different lowest common denominators, not necessarily better ones.

I find that most anime (or at least most of the ones I watch) have much more substance than any western show or movie I've seen. Or, are just flat out more entertaining. Or, are rife with so many of the petty western taboos that I find ridiculous. Or, just completely hysterical.

A vast majority of anime is rife with sexism, Lolicon, fanservice, and trite plots. I'm not sure I'd like to put any of these attributes on any sort of pedistal. :-X

*BLINK* You say that like it's a bad thing?

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2003, 08:38:20 pm »

Heh heh, I should clarify my last comment. Sexism is NOT cool. Although I've yet to find very much in anime I'd consider "sexism." Of course, there's also the one time at my old job where I was talking with my coworker about anime and some woman started screaming in my face "Those cartoons are rascist and sexist!!!!!" Ummm.... ok. ^^;

Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2003, 08:53:54 pm »

Did you kick her ass?

I Care Deep
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2003, 09:07:38 pm »

Did you kick her ass?

Hell yes I did! The bitch got raw with me, so I.... I mean.... wait........ That's not very nice LGJ.

::taps foot petulantly::

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines