Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:17 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard Sega Saturn Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard Sega Saturn Game  (Read 9022 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2002, 10:42:04 pm »

[Rob: This post is dated; I've since gotten a Saturn and the site is much more up to speed on most of this, so please consult that, but I did update movie descriptions, where needed, as I learned about 'em]

I was surprised that some El-Hazard fans actually didn't know there was a Sega Saturn game for El-Hazard.

My sketchy information on this title is that it was first published on a computer called the PC-98, a computer system only sold in Japan.  Then it was rereleased on the then-popular Sega Saturn console, apparently with commentary that it was "a lot better".  Therefore, having obtained the Saturn copy means I shouldn't be missing anything.

The only trick now is I don't actually own a Saturn, and Saturn emulation is too rough and buggy to operate it ... at all.  So a full detication to it will have to wait until I get one.  [Rob: The emulation point is still true]

In the meantime, however, it seems movies on Saturn discs is in a standard Cinepak compression format CPK, which makes CPK->AVI converters available.

I have ripped and reencoded all the movies into the same format and requirements as dictated by the media page.

Links provided for every one starting at Movie00, proceeding to Movie04-Movie17 (no, I don't know what happened to Movie01-Movie03, they just don't exist ;p)

This movies are all-original animation specific to this bit of El-Hazard (except for #0 and possibly #6 which looks like they may have ripped the Wanderers segment for Miz's first apperance).  This fact makes these extremely cool.  And I think that most of us have never seen any of these at all!  (A shame it didn't do well nor get a US version)

Movie00 -- Essentially Wanderers Intro #2, with less footage and more sound effects.

Movie04 -- Makoto tinkering with something and Nanami walks up behind him

Movie05 -- Shayla Shayla intro?

Movie06 -- Miz intro?  [Rob: Yes, right after kicking Sansuke butt ... as usual]

Movie07 -- Afura Mann intro?  (Dig the Jinnai graffiti in the background)  [Rob: Yes, and she doesn't initially trust him neither]

Movie08 -- Intro to Ishiel, the priestess of Earth.  I wonder if there's supposed to be romancing with Fujisawa, notice how they both "click" right on, nothing like what happens with Miz in any version... [Rob: Ha!  Like that would happen... ;p]

Movie09 -- Ifurita's Awakening

Movie10 -- Intro to Alielle, and look at Rune's big ... eyes.  [Rob: Not intro, but she is set to be your guide]

Movie11 -- Rune junction video (Makoto romancing?)  [Rob: Well ... heh, can't quite remember where it's used anyway ;p  But it's really just kind of random]

Movie12 -- The Makoto and Rune ending

Movie13 -- The Makoto and Ifurita ending

Movie14 -- The Makoto and Nanami ending

Movie15 -- Ishiel Bath Scene  [Rob:  Supposedly something you can just see by going to Arliman at the right time]

Movie16 -- Miz Bath Scene (likely bitching about loneliness) ;)  [Rob:  Supposedly something you can just see by going to Arliman at the right time]

Movie17 -- Drunken Shayla and Afura bath scene (doesn't seem to approve)  [Rob:  Supposedly something you can just see by going to Arliman at the right time]

[Rob: The following is dated.  Please see the site section.]
Now, of course I'm just guessing right now until I give that mysterious all-English walkthrough a good read and actually have the console to play on.  But it does seem that this is an "all-new" existance of El-Hazard (again), starting from scratch, using a lot of Wanderers, but it seems to be changing a few things too.  For one, the normally ditzy black-hair Wanderers Ifurita seems to be taking a more serious MW-esque role in this one (based solely on these videos only).
And, of course, there's an added fourth priestess who instantly dings Fujisawa, something never really seen before.
It also appears that what I'm calling (and assuming are) endings, seem to allow the player's control to come to one of several conclusions, and this effects which girl Makoto ends up with, which is a very interesting adjustment.

I'll scan the two booklets and box this thing came in, and eventually hope to have enough to give its own section. [Rob: In progress ;)]
Also, the first track of this disc doubles as an audio track, so if you put it in a CD player, its Jinnai sounding like he's calling you an idiot for putting a game disc in a CD player ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 03:30:45 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
perfect_chaos_zero
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 10:50:36 pm »

So you finally got the bloody game :/

Now...as for getting a saturn... hmmm, try your local gamestop, or perhaps ebay....

Also, the video's look bloody cool, perhaps this game is worth while.
Fujisawa4654
Demon God(ess)

Commander of the UETF, Maj. Gen. Fujisawa!

AOL Instant Messenger - Fujisawa4654
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 01:30:28 pm »

So you finally got the bloody game :/

Now...as for getting a saturn... hmmm, try your local gamestop, or perhaps ebay....

Also, the video's look bloody cool, perhaps this game is worth while.

I have NEVR heard you say that before.. You freak me out "man", this Ale is DA BOMB o yeaaaaa...!

[edit]Man the show must be popular to be a freak'n game! gimme the ROM and lemme play it!...It's in genesis format right? i got an enhanced emulator, maybe you have heard of GENS???

If you want a GOOD SNES emulator, look for NESticle (REALLY exists)
[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 01:36:03 pm by fujisawa4654 » Logged

Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 02:34:26 pm »

Don't get too excited. Animé based video games aren't rare at all.

Popularity has nothing to do with why people make the games, it's whether the company thinks it will sell, and putting the game on the Sega Saturn was obviously a stupid move. ;)

Rob probably could rip the contents of the disc and put it up for all to download, but I bet it would seriously slug the server. Saturn games are a good 100mb - 300mb.

The game itself looks pretty standard. Nothing I'd kill myself over to get (unlike the holy 6 CD boxset). Infact, the only reason Rob has it is because he's teh El-Hazard madman, who buys everything EH related.

Rob: Oh yeah, I decided to get all of Wanderers over Xmas. Well, I did the same for MW last year, so why not repeat the tradition, but with the alternate series? ;)

Maximum boobage!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 06:04:48 pm »

No, Fujisawa.  The Sega Saturn was a disc-based system.  Kind of like the Sony Playstation, only it didn't do real well.

Boy I sure could use someone with high bandwidth and a lot of space to give ;p

And the game, from what little I know about it, does seem to be a rather simplistic, maybe lame, gameplay.  I'm thinking it mostly consists of moving between rooms and performing fixed actions within them.  I could be wrong, we'll see.

The game itself may not be incredibly significant, but I could never find coverage on it before.  So maybe I'll get to be the first
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 06:33:08 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 03:16:01 am »

See new Saturn Topic (El-Hazard Sega Saturn Game Cont.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 03:32:20 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines