Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:06:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Princess of Mars?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Princess of Mars?  (Read 5288 times)
amanda_dale
Londs' Screen Time

AOL Instant Messenger - IfuritaD
View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2003, 08:36:02 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else around has read Edgar Rice Burroughs's A Princess of Mars? I looked it up after hearing it mentioned in a review of EH and fell in love with it's sheer over-the-top pulp melodrama.  ;D I've heard vaguely that the people who made EH had read it, but I'm not sure if it's true.

There are definitely some parallels: the hero gets transported after stumbling into a mysterious ruin (or cave, at least) and finds himself super strong due to Mars's lighter gravity- in effect, being a fairly strong human he becomes Superman there. He also has to rescure the princess from the Bug Eyed Monsters right off the bat. The way the Martians have built their society over an older, vanished civilization is also very El-hazardish.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

worshipper of the Demon Goddess Ifurita
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 08:59:54 pm »

Neil can fill you in much better, since he's read the Hayashi interviews, but it was Hayashi himself, creator of everything that is El-Hazard, who happened to throughly enjoy PoM and used it as the basis for El-Hazard.  At least, I believe that's how that goes.

Oh right.  Neil wrote that up already.  XD OAV section "Introduction"

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 11:20:14 pm »

Wow, that's an old one! I've always meant to get around to reading more Edgar Rice Burroughs. He's an old school master up there with Jules Verne and HG wells.

BTW, nice avatar Amanda. ^_^ One of my fave screencaps!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines