Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard, ported to GBA! How jolly!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard, ported to GBA! How jolly!  (Read 4237 times)
kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2003, 02:41:09 pm »

Yeah, well, apparently Rob "forgot" a certain community when he released this jug of info -

http://www.mooglemb.com/viewtopic.php?t=5135

The MoogleMB is a nice community, but that's not my point. The point is, of course, that Rob has made an attempt to port El-Hazard to a GameBoy Advance-type thing!

Ripped from the original post Rob made:

"Well, it'd be nice if they'd do it for me, but anyway, I brought the only current El-Hazard video game ever made now to the Gameboy Advance... at least as a ROM file.

Yup, it's my EHPC gone GBA (EHGBA).  This is only about 2 weeks work to port the whole program, but keep in mind I programmed the Sega Genesis a little bit so I had a greater grasp on how consoles work.

Anyway, it was a somewhat gratifying event.  The whole of EHPC pretty much functioned directly using the same source code.  The main changes revolved around the graphics system which, save for the bitmap mode I used, is nothing like PCs.  And even then the bitmap mode I used, the 256 color one, requires 16-bit writes which gave me numerous difficulties, some of which I have decided to resolve "whenever I feel like it", such as the Ura map.

As you can see, my hack implement for this didn't work quite to my hope.  Oh well.  It works well enough to see what you need to see.

Here's a variety of shots during development to see other technical difficulties that arose from the intricate and often annoyingly touchy Gameboy graphics system:

There's also a bug that seems to occur intermittedly that will also require more time than I feel like putting forth at the moment...

The logical choices are, of course, "Let Ishiel Go" or "Jail Her".  However, you'll notice the "down arrow" indicated more choices below... this is actually reminicent of a bug from an early version of EHPC that for some reason resurfaced.  But it's different due to the way ROM functions over RAM or something.  Anyway, the point is, please only select menu choices that are LOGICAL.  Being a moron could result in you seeing my custom BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH:

But then, in the end, it's all good:

For those who are crazy enough to play it long enough, you should wind up with total completion:

I doubt your patience though.  :P

The ROM is sized out to a real base 2 32MB, that maximum possible for a GBA.  Much of this space is actually filled by low-bitrate recordings of actual MP3 music used for the endings.  (I wasn't going to do this originally, but all game code and graphics fleshed out to about 23MB, and the next base 2 number is 32MB anyway!  Might as well use the space.)

This was only test to run successfully in Visual Boy Advance.  This is available for both PC and Mac (v1.15 and v1.14 respectively, I think.)  I haven't actually tested VBA for Mac yet, so someone else will need to tell me if it runs.  It was developed to run on v1.15.  Eventually once I get a job and some money together I'll actually by the Flash Linker jig and test it for functionality on the real hardware.  For now, I don't think it'll work (it could, but I probably have an error somewhere.)

http://www.el-hazardonline-dl.net/EHGBA.zip
"

In recent news for this game, I've been added to the credits screen for being a nice jolly good boy. ;P

So, anyone else wanna comment? :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 03:52:56 pm by kiddo » Logged

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 03:41:55 pm »

I myself can't seem to get past giving Afura the dang rock-thingy without getting a "Fatal Error" myself. But maybe that's just me.... anyway, who'd like to give Rob some nice comments on this? :O

Actually it's good I delayed introducing it locally until you found that one, Kiddo.  What a bummer... it's right at the end of Chapter 4 bridging to Chapter 5.  Well, all downloads will be able to get a corrected version.  Interestingly, this was an error that EHPC had been "shrugging off", but it was always there.  Things just aligned enough that none of the EHPC players are effected.  But the sensitive GBA version isn't making the pass.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 11:17:03 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 12:09:12 am »

I'll do the Mac beta testing! ::runs off to find a GBA emulator::

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 07:26:37 am »

VisualBoy Advance!  VISUAL BOY ADVANCE!  ... I don't know if any other emu will run it properly.  :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 07:26:58 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 11:24:55 am »

I should test it on Boycott... :O

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 12:29:17 pm »

When I did all I got was a black screen of no running-ness.

I DID test this on other emus.  I'm just sure I didn't test it on every emu in the world, so that's why I only can vouch for VBA but don't denounce all other emulators.  :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 12:29:59 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

sdkertw
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 12:38:10 pm »

i see this GBA news from zophar.net. it's quite amazing to see this game ported to GBA from SS by EL Hazard fans. i watched EL Hazard anime about 4 years ago. never thought i would see so comprehensive EL Hazard web site after so many years. i have tried to post GBA news on Emu sites' board i used to visiting. hope more EL Hazard fans could play this game and come to visit this wonderful web site.

Thank you all for your hard work!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 12:56:04 pm »

Thanks.  :)  And it does appear we've had some new traffic since it was posted on Zophar and a few other places...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines