Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:16:19 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Two New Box Sets for El hazard fanss
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Two New Box Sets for El hazard fanss  (Read 7241 times)
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« on: May 18, 2003, 08:39:50 pm »

From the El Hazard Fan Club Yahoo! group, friends.  FYI.

--me

Mark Engels

To: el-hazard@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 21:53:04 -0000
Subject: [el-hazard] Two New Box Set for El hazard fans!!!!!!

New Box Set will be coming out.

El Hazard: The Alternative World Box Set

325 min.

$79.98

07/01/2003

El Hazard: The Wanderers Box Set

650 min.

$79.99

07/01/2003  

find out more go to

http://www.animeondvd.com/releases/
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 11:06:50 pm »

I briefly heard of this from a buddy of mine.  I didn't want to say anything until it was official.  Finally, a REAL boxset for Wanderers and Alternative World as opposed to the eBay pirates that have been out there forever.  ;p  What a shame I spent over $200 on my individual DVDs.  I'm hoping these are identical to the individual releases and didn't add anything, else I might have to actually be mad about it.

I do wonder... this kind of shows that El-Hazard at least isn't on any "whole" completely dead within the company I guess.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 01:05:53 am »

Alt World and Wanderers are the two series that I still only have VHS (and dubbed -.-) copies of. I always meant to replace them on DVD. Not a practice I usually adhere to. But, it's El Hazard so......

I guess procrastination really does pay off some times!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
frizbon
Londs' Screen Time

SERVE THE HIVE...

AOL Instant Messenger - Frizbon
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 04:12:09 pm »

Thats about what I paid for them individually, but now I don't get a nifty box... curses...
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 04:21:13 pm »

I paid a little more than $200 I believe ... it was something close to my debit card's daily transaction limit.

Sometimes they sell just the box :p  At least it happens for more popular series...

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 01:08:38 am »

Thats about what I paid for them individually, but now I don't get a nifty box... curses...

Right Stuff often seems to have some "extra" empty boxes on hand for sale. At least, they did with Evangelion.

'Tis odd though. First they were releasing individual tapes/DVDs, then releasing boxsets. Then they start releasing the first volume with the series box. Now they're releasing individual discs, then super discounted sets. That's what they did with Kurogane Communication.
-.-
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 01:09:32 am by saucer » Logged

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 02:17:07 am »

Right Stuff often seems to have some "extra" empty boxes on hand for sale. At least, they did with Evangelion.

'Tis odd though. First they were releasing individual tapes/DVDs, then releasing boxsets. Then they start releasing the first volume with the series box. Now they're releasing individual discs, then super discounted sets. That's what they did with Kurogane Communication.
-.-

*Sighs* It makes sense, though... The avid fans pick up the series right away, right? Afterwards, the company starts to make modifications, adding on bells and whistles, and lowering the price, to try to make the product look more attractive to the ones that originally passed it up. They don't need to worry about making new stuff for the avid fan - they already HAVE their money.

Would it kill them, though, to have the boxes alone for sale, for the devoted fan who misses out on the good stuff because he or she was being a good, loyal customer?  >:( It doesn't seem like a very good business practice to consistantly infuriate the ones who are willing to buy the anime as soon as it comes out, no matter the price.

As for Right Stuf, unfortunately, I wouldn't count on them having the boxes for sale. When they sell individual boxes, they are usually boxes that have been available individually from the start, or else were something added intended for the original disks, but long after the original discs were released (that is, it's an add-on, not a new product). Both the Neon Genesis Evangelion boxes and the Escaflowne boxes were that way. I always hate to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you.

I'd like these boxes, so I'm gonna watch e-bay for a while after the sets come out, and see if there's anyone that picked up the box sets and decided they didn't actually want the box. Aside from forking over the dough to buy the series a second time, that'll probably be the best way to get a box.

The 1337 poster
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 02:42:54 pm »

*Sighs* It makes sense, though... The avid fans pick up the series right away, right? Afterwards, the company starts to make modifications, adding on bells and whistles, and lowering the price, to try to make the product look more attractive to the ones that originally passed it up. They don't need to worry about making new stuff for the avid fan - they already HAVE their money.

Great business sense indeed. -_________________-;

Right after I finished collecting the entire Magic Knight Rayearth TV series on VHS, they released the DVD boxsets with music videos, extras and *GASP* the eye-catches!

It's a sweet deal if you've been planning on picking up the series anyway. It affords you an excuse. But if you've already painstakingly forked over the cash for the individual volumes........ Well, at least it's not like the good ol' VHS days with 2 episodes per tape. -.-

Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 03:57:07 pm »

Too many things to buy, so many bills, so little money.  :P

*wallet cries*

"I expect this battle to be entertaining, Captain. Now get inside, so we can get this thing underway. I want to see some wai-wai lovely violence within a few minutes." - Major Melanie Melissa Masterson III
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 03:12:19 am »

I am actually thinking of getting the Alternative World boxset. Seeing as I only have the first volume, it would be quite easy for me to eBay it off (for the recommended retail price, if I'm lucky. Those poor British eBay-ers who can't import would find it most welcome ;p), and use that some of my own money to invest in the boxset.

[checks out up1.co.uk] Yes, it's only £60 or so, so that would indeed save some money.

Anyway, I have a question about this. What the hell is a "Bailey Box"? I'm thinking it is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UBKB/qid=1055319045/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/102-5844264-8940163?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maximum boobage!!
mistercat
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2003, 08:00:36 pm »

I'm with Shade on this one.  There was a time -- perhaps long, long ago in a faraway country -- when issued products were in fact final products.

Sure, I'd love to be able to afford every new "director's cut" release of favored films; but since the re-releasing scenario has become (in most cases) a matter of business rather than art I restrain myself.

It's rather like the corporations are telling us: "Help us out now, up front, so we can punish you later."  Although it's exciting to discover some long-lost scene from a production, I get the impression these days things are deliberately held back for re-release purposes.

>:(

=^..^=
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2003, 09:42:26 pm »

Mm, that could be true.  It's good incentive anyway... :P

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 03:36:14 pm »

I'm with Shade on this one.  There was a time -- perhaps long, long ago in a faraway country -- when issued products were in fact final products.

Sure, I'd love to be able to afford every new "director's cut" release of favored films; but since the re-releasing scenario has become (in most cases) a matter of business rather than art I restrain myself.

It's rather like the corporations are telling us: "Help us out now, up front, so we can punish you later."  Although it's exciting to discover some long-lost scene from a production, I get the impression these days things are deliberately held back for re-release purposes.

>:(

=^..^=

That can be quite frustrating indeed, and would appear to be the case. However, there actually is alot more to it. Most of the time, the version of a series that a company gets is whatever the Japanese company offers them. That may mean they're getting the edited TV version, as was the case with CPM & Maze and ADV and Sakura Diaries. Or, they may get the series, sans eye catches and previews! As was the case with AnimeWorks & Magic Knight Rayearth, and CPM and Slayers.

Basically, Japanese companies that own the rights dictate the terms of the licensing agreement. That's the reason why it took so long for many Gundam series to make it over here, because Sunrise wanted broadcast TV rights and mechandising rights. That wasn't always feasible or practical back in the day. Now that anime is showing more commercial potential (-.-) and popularity in the US though, US companies now have more pull in licensing negotiations. ^^;

mistercat
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 07:00:48 pm »

Aha!  Thanks for pointing that out, Saucer.  I'd not thought of that aspect of the situation.

My own experience with "domestic" versus "foreign" visual media leads me to believe anything coming to the States from abroad is tamed down (usually in regard to sexual content) by whomever releases it here.  Add to that the points you made regarding the business aspects of all this and I can see where such a product released in the U.S.A. would be a lesser product than that released abroad.

So, if the censorship (via either business or prudishness) has in fact lessened its grip here in the States, I can see the value in acquiring newer releases of older visual media.  I'm quite sorry to hear, though, that Stateside taste is having more influence over original product made abroad:  Such taste flows not from the general public but from special-interest groups with cash to spread around.

:(

=^..^=
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2003, 07:43:19 pm »

That is true.  However, so long as something is released direct to video, and not attempted to be marketed as children's television, most often an anime remains generally uncensored nowadays.

You'd probably want to import "famous" animes aired on US TV such as Sailor Moon or DBZ, but things like El-Hazard weren't intended to air (even though a bit of it has) so the video releases are pretty much intact for what they should be.

You pretty much just have to escape the "cartoons are only for kids" rule and you're okay.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 07:44:37 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines