Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:38:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Two New Box Sets for El hazard fanss
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Two New Box Sets for El hazard fanss  (Read 7891 times)
theravenisdead
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2003, 10:45:53 pm »

I hate living in Canada, anime is expensive here. Dangit.  >:(
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 01:33:49 am »

It really varies by the situation. A series that gets licensed, with the intent of being marketed on children's TV *COUGH*Pokemon*COUGH* is going to get the hack & slash job. And the subsequent DVD release will be equally butchered. That's mainly because the company marketing it to children don't want their parents to accidentally get ahold of seemingly "X-rated" (read: original unedited Japanese home video release, different censorship standards you know ^^; ) copy of their child's favorite "cartoon." It's something of a miracle that Pioneer went to the trouble to do two entirely seperate releases of Card Captor Sakura. Of course, CCs has a huge fan following. And I'm sure they didn't want to incite a riot. ^^;  

Although it is annoying when companies do two or more different releases of a title, at least we have the option to pick up a less edited version. ADV does it. Software Sculptures doesn't, however. -.-

You see, believe it or not, Japanese TV does have censorship standards. Although more relaxed than ours, due to cultural differences and such. So, studios often pull out all the stops (or as many as they have the druther to) and in the end, some things get cut from the broadcast version. Fortunately (for Japanese consumers) the home video release includes all the edited bits. And if you want to see how far they go, you should try downlading some episodes of Ebichu. O_O ^_^;;; That one pushed the limits of Japnese broadcasting standards. To unbelievable levels.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 07:42:07 pm »

Those box sets are very tempting indeed ^^ I've wanted to get EL-Hazard on dvd (I own it all on VHS but wanted to get them  on dvd now) I have the OVA box set and these being out now is great.  Though the Wanderers box set is better value seeing as Alt World is only 13 episodes

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 07:55:40 pm »

I hear that argument a lot, even before the boxset business -- "Wanderers is a better value because there's more episodes per DVD." (or some form of this)

That's not entirely correct, since The Wanderers and Alternative World are completely, utterly different concepts.  Unfortunately, while the Alternative World follows the more "matured" storyline of the OAV-OAV2, it's not very well executed and opened too many plotholes that it didn't effectively close.  Yet the Wanderers, while featuring many of the original cast in more or less their same respective forms, focused on replacing more of the sci-fi elements with mysticisms and generally made it more cutesy.  The redeeming value though is definitely the slap-stick.  It's like an "El-Hazard Lite".

Anyway, my point is, you can't focus on the quantity as the value factor.  It's really the series itself.  (DVD or VHS anime is typically a rip-off any way you slice it regardless ;))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 07:56:23 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2003, 05:37:34 pm »

I just got a spam-by-subscription e-mail that featured six new box sets.

Adventures of the Mini Goddess DVD Collectors Boxed Set
Angel Links DVD, Special Edition Collectors Boxed Set
El Hazard, the Alternative World DVD Collectors Boxed Set
El Hazard: The Wanderers DVD Collectors Boxed Set
G-Gundam DVD, Collectors Boxed Set #4
NieA Under 7 DVD Collectors Boxed Set

Ouch!  I bought four of those six in individual volumes.  I keep my DVDs in CD cases, and I don't care about the actual box of a box set.  But that's a lot of money that I could have saved.  Ouch!

On the other hand, I've played the heck out of Mini-Goddess and EH, so that's hours of enjoyment I wouldn't have had if I had waited.  (NieA is good, but it's a lesser favorite, I guess.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 05:41:59 pm by mrwhat » Logged
Adrain_Shepard
Londs' Screen Time

US Marines Corps Special Forces Unit

ICQ Messenger - 283272719 AOL Instant Messenger - AStrick576 Yahoo Instant Messenger - AdrainShephardHL
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2003, 09:38:41 pm »

I bought a import Box set of El Hazard OVA.I still love it.I'll buy the US box set this time! and also Wanderers box set and the Alternative.

Alright I ordered The Alternative woohoo!!! along with the pre ordered of .hack//sign vol.4 limited edition =)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 08:22:08 pm by adrain_shepard » Logged

World of Warcraft:Server:Zul'Jin
Death Knight Human level 80 Kiyomitakada
Warrior Human level 80 Giselleandal
Rouge Human level 72 Suzukatwligh
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2003, 04:00:11 pm »

I just got a spam-by-subscription e-mail that featured six new box sets.

Ouch!  I bought four of those six in individual volumes.  I keep my DVDs in CD cases, and I don't care about the actual box of a box set.  But that's a lot of money that I could have saved.  Ouch!

On the other hand, I've played the heck out of Mini-Goddess and EH, so that's hours of enjoyment I wouldn't have had if I had waited.  (NieA is good, but it's a lesser favorite, I guess.)

Damn. I bought Angel Links and NieA_7 seperately. Mini-Goddesses I still have on fansub. I'll probably get the Wanderers and Alt World boxes eventually. Hey Sarah look, G Gundam!!!!!!! *NEIGH*

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2003, 06:41:20 pm »

Hey Sarah look, G Gundam!!!!!!! *NEIGH*

That's cruel and unusual punishment, Saucer.

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2003, 08:05:24 pm »

That's cruel and unusual punishment, Saucer.

Gomen nasai....... :'(

Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2003, 05:35:08 am »

I just recently bought the Wanderers Boxed set, but unfortunately the third volume has a defect in it. I believe Pioneer recalled all of them, and those who all ready bought the set can have vol.3 replaced free of charge.

Thankfully I managed to talk my local retailer into merely exchanging my in-box volume 3 for a copy of the regular Wanderers vol.3, thereby saving me the annoyance of having to send out for the replacement.

I Care Deep
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2003, 07:44:50 am »

Good job.  :P  And I see you've at least seen a little bit of Alternative World there (the infamous "boil")

How much El-Hazard have you seen?  Or is it just Wanderers and Alternative World since they came out with boxsets?

Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2003, 01:19:41 pm »

I am proud to say that I have seen ALL of El Hazard. I began by buying the DVD box set with the Magnificent World and EH2, which only served to whet my appetite for more so I bought the entire series of Alternative World. Fast forward a year later to last week, whereupon Pioneer had released the Wanderers boxed set which brought the EH fan within me to emerge once more.

I Care Deep
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2003, 01:47:11 pm »

Wow, almost like me.  Except I bought all of AW and W immediately after finishing OAV and OAV2.  :P  (Cost me $200-some, of course since no boxsets were available to ME.  :-[)  But very cool indeed!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 01:47:28 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2003, 02:59:28 pm »

I just recently bought the Wanderers Boxed set, but unfortunately the third volume has a defect in it. I believe Pioneer recalled all of them, and those who all ready bought the set can have vol.3 replaced free of charge.

Thankfully I managed to talk my local retailer into merely exchanging my in-box volume 3 for a copy of the regular Wanderers vol.3, thereby saving me the annoyance of having to send out for the replacement.

Looks like procrastination really pays off! The only problem is, Amazon.com whom I buy most of my anime from, usually has a huge stock of these defective pressings of DVDs. And they usually will ship you a defective one and then have you go through the trouble of returning it for a working copy. rather than send back all their defective stock in the first place.
-______________________-;

I got stung with bad pressings of Saber Marionette J and the Escaflowne movie.

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2003, 11:38:27 pm »

Another spam-by-subscription e-mail today.  It's old news, I guess, but it might be helpful to someone.

+ EL HAZARD WANDERERS DVD BOXED SET RECALL
Pioneer Entertainment has officially announced a product recall for the El Hazard Box due to numerous defective disk #3's. If you have a defective El Hazard Wanderers DVD Boxed set, you can now contact Deluxe Digital Media Services directly at 1-800-538-3601 to arrange a replacement. This offer will be available until 12/31/03.

In the mean time, we have also pulled all El hazard Wanderers DVD Boxes from our shelves, and we are expecting replacement fixed boxed sets to arrive within 10 days. The new, corrected boxed sets will include a 10th anniversary sticker.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines