Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:23 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Webpage Facelift
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Webpage Facelift  (Read 7474 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2003, 08:31:50 pm »

Never one to concider my primitive design skills anything to shout about, I've always been open to anyone having site design suggestions... but thus far I don't think we've had anyone here who is even remotely in that area of work.  :P

Recently however, a new member named "executor82" happens to be in these design processes, and here's an idea he has for giving at least the main section a boost in visuals:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/HP1_mod.jpg

We're looking for input.  Comment / suggest anything, please.  I think it looks pretty rad at the moment and this might be a nice way to break in the one year anniversary that happens later this month.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 09:02:38 pm »

I think the design "de X" has suggested is an elegant and clean one.  The one flaw I find with it is the selection of the main graphic.  While I do like that picture (it's the same one that adorns the cover of the Guardians of Order EH RPG book) it doesn't have Ifurita in it!  Ken Wolfe and I were horrified when we ran out and bought the RPG and saw the cover.  We were like "whassup wid dat?!"  I mean, Ifurita is only the catalyst around whom the rest of the story unfolds, right?  :P

--me

Mark Engels
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 11:14:32 pm »

In OAV1 primarily, yes.  Well, this is trial 2, the first one was adorned only with the trio of priestesses (which I believe adorned an LD cover from OAV2.)  I suggested right off that wouldn't be good because then we'd look like a priestess shrine.

EDIT: Er, Wanderers.  ^_^; (this one)

At least he's got the right attitude.  To quote "de X":
However, I think that I'll try to create an alternative design, I'm right in the mood ;). If this goes on, we'll make El Hazard Online the greatest fanpage in the net!!! (am I exaggerating it a little bit ??? Let's see  ;))

Well, we'll see if he has something else up his sleeve.  I'll post more images as his creativity goes along.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 11:17:32 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

executor82
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 06:05:31 am »

Ifurita, huh?
Well let's see if I won't find a solution for that  ;)
It's just a matter of time, but you won't wait too long.
I'm working on it right now.  ;D
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 12:15:33 pm »

Well...

I think the new design of the website looks great.  Though the picture looks stretched a bit, but that's just about it.  It certainly is more graphical than the current website.

However, I think that I'll try to create an alternative design, I'm right in the mood . If this goes on, we'll make El Hazard Online the greatest fanpage in the net!!! (am I exaggerating it a little bit  Let's see  )

Somehow, I think the "Jinnai bug"  is in the air...

(Not to say I don't believe you, it's just the way it was written out.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 12:17:34 pm by thegameguy » Logged

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 12:38:02 pm »

Here's the current version in action:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/siteview.jpg

I'll admit, when he just sent me raw JPEGs, I almost couldn't believe his ideal-looking image could actually function in HTML.  But there's my proof; his latest send was the actual code itself, and for my own benefit, I inserted a little text into the "main" window pane.  This code has been proven reliable to run under IE 6.0, Netscape 7.0, and Opera 7.03, which is better than I can say for some of my stuff which fluctuates a little between those three.  ;)

Of course, we have the dreaded resolution issue...

I'm working on a solution for the different resolution. At the moment all is concepted for a resolution of 800x600. But if i work it out, there would be a few more frames...er...ok there would be eight more frames. For now this would be my only solution for that problem.

Here's the code I already have pressed into 640x480:
http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/siteview2.jpg

As you can see, it does become just a tad claustrophobic.  Interestingly though, the browser will drop the right-most frame.  Probably the biggest change that would need to be made is smaller overhead graphics.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 02:02:29 pm »

I like the one that we've got, but that new one looks really cool. I think you should try it out and see how many members you get.

People say that the more attractive your pagefront is, the more visitors you'll get, and more visitors means more members!  ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
executor82
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 02:55:39 pm »

Thanx for the credit to you all  ;D

But you have to see, what I've done for the forum!
Rob will post it as soon as he'll find it in his E-mail account.

In fact there is still a bit of a problem to solve with the resolution and maybe we should care about the way how to get the HP scrolling in lower ones.

Maybe Rob has any Idea ??? or anyone else?
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 03:35:52 pm »

In fact there is still a bit of a problem to solve with the resolution and maybe we should care about the way how to get the HP scrolling in lower ones.

Maybe Rob has any Idea  or anyone else?

I'm supposing you mean how to get the frames to scroll.  Not a problem!  I don't know how it works in DreamWeaver, but I know how to play the HTML tag game.  ;)

A frame is given the ability to scroll by a simple edit via Notepad

There's just one error that results because of this:

We've sheered the priestesses legs!

I don't know much about frames, but I suppose they can be partitioned off from the rest of it?

I also should warn that if someone had a resolution insanely high (1280x1024 for example), we get looping from when it not only fits, but isn't long enough:

Hmm... I'm not incredibly familiar with frames to THIS extent.  I also notice that the scrollbar rather rudely intrudes upon your yellow border design.  I guess this will take a little more work then I thought.  Perhaps since we're using a frame menu, you can significantly drop the stuff links from the main page.  For example, let's try a menu that links to larger sections, such as "Series", which goes to a secondary menu.

We can also make the frame an IMAGEMAP (does DreamWeaver support this?)  FYI, that's an image that has several internal links on it.  And then the body background is something that will tile.  That would take care of the "too large vertical resolution" problem.  But you'll want to minimize the menu's complexity if the border is an important issue.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 03:55:20 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 03:51:37 pm »

I completely forgot what he had sent me that should be OK...

The new way the forums could be viewed:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/HP1_forum2.jpg

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/HP1_forum.jpg (Ifurita desires :P)

I think he means this to be a top bar like the current black bar is.

executor82
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 05:15:31 pm »

Ok, the higher resolution should be solved.
But I would like to have a scroll bar to the right and bottom if the HP won't fit on screen in low res. I don't know how to solve it now, maybe you can  ???

If that works, this would be the easiest way.
The rest would be peanuts.

ok...lets say I hope my dreamweaver skills will be enough to do the rest  :-/

hey, what do you think of rollover buttons?
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 05:40:13 pm »

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/HP1_forum.jpg (Ifurita desires :P)

Ah!  Dat's betta!  :)

--me

Mark Engels
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 06:41:35 pm »

Report: Well, most of the problems up until now except low resolution have been solved by some extra FRAME-work!  So far I'm figuring a "low resolution" version of the page with trimmed / reduced graphics is our only real option there.  (For example, removal of the priestesses in the upper left, since they provide no actual function, as well as shrinking the overhead bar.)

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 06:48:51 pm »

Somewhat off-topic, but I stumbled across another caption contest page this evening:
SpinnWebe A-1 AAA AmeriCaptions

I'm sure there's lots of things like that out there... but I thought of the EHOL Picture Of The Moment while I read this topic.  That page might work as a frameset.  Maybe rules and previous picture links scrolling at the left, picture stationary at the top right, and captions and the entry box scrolling at the bottom right?
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 07:10:57 pm »

Not a bad idea.  I'll just have to convert the system to do CGI generated pages so I don't have to redo each and every one of our (actually 40) images ;D  (which technically are all built from CGI to begin with, just written as files, not viewed via CGI)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 07:19:14 pm by thegameguy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines